*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Connect sill repair part 1, 2 , 3 showing before repair

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

Re: Connect sill repair part 1, 2 , 3 showing before repair

Postby metalworker0 » Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:26 pm

Cant heat them ..that would melt the plastic ..cant weld nut onto them for the same reason ......cant get angle grinder to them as they are in a recess.

so I drilled them out, you have to drill right down the centre of them then use a larger drill to remove the rest of the head .

Then you're are left with just a stud ..this would not budge with mole grips ..had to heat it up with a blow torch, then it unscrewed with the mole grips.

stainless steel bolts will be put in their place.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby metalworker0 » Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:17 pm

Cleaned the gunk out of the intercooler and related pipes ..wasn't that bad ..but i took the elbow off the inlet manifold and i could feel that there was a coating/ deposit of 1/8" of thick carbony grease in there. and that's what i could reach with my fingers ..i could not see around the bend ..that manifold is definitely coming off next year ..so i can can clean further into the intakes behind the valves ..if i don't do this the performance will be effected
Note : this engine isn't worn and it does not use oil .
In the mean time soon as i get past this sill fitment, will buy a catch tank in the next few weeks ..

Do you need convincing , watch this guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cs9W7XyPNhc

There is a recent post in tech section here somewhere /..where a guy took his manifold off ..and it looks like he has half inch thick build up ...worth looking at that. if you can find it ..I've forgotten where it was.

Also cleaned up the whole engine compartment . just need to stick those stickers down on the battery.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby metalworker0 » Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:47 pm

Got the gas and more or less finished the centre section of inner sill , just waiting on belts for my air finger belt sander file thingy to grind away and tidy up the lower spot welds .

In the mean time I'm starting on the rear of the inner sill .....it does not look that bad , with only a slight hole/crack where the arrow points to.

but i know it will be worse inside ..so just going to remove the whole lot ..as i have a batter way of making a jacking point that does not crush.

That bracket with a hole in is going too , don't know what it's for ..

more pictures of the insides.... TO FOLLOW
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby metalworker0 » Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:03 pm

Well people don't be over confident if your vans rear sill looks like the last picture, all is not what it seams.
picture 1 as removed.
picture 2 what's lurking on the other side
picture 3 showing jacking point re-enforcement
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby metalworker0 » Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:10 pm

picture 1 is the first cut ..which wasn't high enough
picture 2 is second cut that enables me to patch the back of the chassis section
picture 3 all the pieces removed so far from the rear sill.
picture 4 what was removed from the outer sill
still a bit more to cut out .
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby metalworker0 » Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:19 pm

Cutting back to good metal, meant i had to loose parts of the outer sill that is not supplied with the new outer panel. panel does not reach these parts

They were too rusty on the other side ..so had to go. I've kept them safe to copy .

Also - had to go, a sort of thick rib that is two panels spot welded together, this runs down at the back of the arch, this I will be re-new as one thicker piece . seen far left on the second picture posted today.
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby metalworker0 » Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:57 pm

Made the middle sill part of the rear sill today ..after doing more of a tidy up of the rust .
After many cuts and trial fittings put the piece in position ..for the photo

next shows me using plasterers "Derby" strait edge tool to line it up with the work i did previously. in the picture you can see the weld penetration of the spots on the inner sill behind.
Last edited by metalworker0 on Tue Sep 07, 2021 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby metalworker0 » Tue Sep 07, 2021 5:09 pm

Had to take another inch off the inner sill to be able to weld the middle sill. arrow shows new cut line.

Two cuts were made to new panel to enable it to sit flush against the panel/ box section underneath...as it steps up and down.

The re-enforcing (1/4 inch steel) will be welded onto it before it's fitted into position.

Two slots will be cut for drainage after the re-enforcing is joined to the middle sill

These are just rough for now, burrs etc will be tidied up as i go along.

Some photos look like there are bends ..this is the camera gold fish bowl effect.

Total time for rear of the sill is now 8 hours (yesterday and today) ...this does not include cycling 10 miles yesterday to get some new safety glasses
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby metalworker0 » Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:53 pm

Drilled and sprayed with zinc weld through.

more to follow today
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby metalworker0 » Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:58 pm

Once welded and spots dressed ..it was fitted in position ..so that i could work out where to put the slots ..
Red arrows are where the slots are going ..green arrow is where the original jacking point would have been. - other pictures show it finished ..ready to be welded in. Time 4 hours
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby metalworker0 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:55 pm

it was too wet on Thursday
Friday mixed weather - i just concentrated on removing the spot welds on previous inner sill panels.
Today - too windy ..gusting - hate it when these gusts spoil welds, so will not even attempt it - better a good job than a bad .
- So am attempting to use a product called "Autobright" on the front bumper to get it black again: - which claims to be : ..a Plastic, vinyl, rubber & mouldings restore 2 Black Permanent Dye.

Going to take ages as I'm putting a little dab on a wet sponge and the wiping the entire surface and letting it dry before doing it again...so building up layer by layer .

I've tried it neat and dry ..does not work and ends up sticky patchy mess of swirls.

So i'm using a sort of the french polishing method - and it seams to be working out ok so far
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby metalworker0 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:29 pm

Not had the right conditions to get under the van, so turned my attention to another job .
i bought a brand new rear bumper off ebay a few months back ..it wasn't quite the
right colour i wanted it; was dark grey.

I thought no problem , may as well strip the finish off it with paint stripper and start with bare metal. - as i wasn't sure it was painted very well ..

Wrong, it was painted very well with something like powder coat or epoxy and very thick coats ..and the paint stripper only softened it ..my visions of it bubbling up in five mins and me just washing it off vanished - 2 hours later after scrapping and wire brushing, just the one side was done ..and that's how it will stay.

Turns out the bumper is very well made, thick metal, very well and painted - good value me thinks , so recommended ..you may have to change the colour through ..but don't strip it!

They have put the price up £1 since i bought it

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184327432326?

More sanding and prime it this afternoon, if it stops raining.

All the best.mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby metalworker0 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:52 pm

Note: September 6th post, me saying don't know what that round hole was for .

Well... its to get the spring hanger bolt out ..well the way Ford want you to get it out .
Anyways that's not happening as I'm adding more metal in this area ..so it will never come out that way again ,..

Today i welded in the jacking point strengthener ..plus took that bolt out and turned it around ..
That was a lot of work since the van is already up high ..and i had to do a lot of messing around with extra jacks and stands to sort it, including dropping the exhaust off the rear most rubber hanger.

it will come out easily in the future ..just have to unhook the exhaust that's all.

The welding isn't so neat, with the spring hanger in the way ..and the cut was way too high..could not get the right angle with the torch. plus overlap was facing up . it's strong that's all that matters. plus the inner sill is going on top of that .
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby metalworker0 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:16 pm

inner sill closing panel and rib.

A piece of steel was offered up to it and i drew an outline of what to cut off .

this was cut out and put in position and welded no picture of the welding as the picture did not come out - too shiny - suns glare etc .
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby metalworker0 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:20 pm

Rear inner sill

Still trying to work this out ...i have to have a transition piece from the main inner sill to this area ..
after making lots of errors today cutting and bending ..i gave up ..so will continue tomorrow with fresh ideas ..picture ..lots of bad ideas that didn't work out.
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

PreviousNext

Return to Transit Connect