*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Head removal 2.4 mk7

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Head removal 2.4 mk7

Postby Colin K » Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:06 am

Hello,
I wonder if anyone had or can point me at the sequence od removing the head. Head gasket has been gone a long time and finally started to kick steam out of the exhaust. :(

I have got it all but stripped out but something is holding the head towards the rear of the block and wondered what I have missed removing. Have not taken the EGR off so curious if its this .

Thanks for any help, Col.
Colin K
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Head removal 2.4 mk7

Postby Colin K » Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:32 am

Hello Guys,
Update Missed the two bolts that hold on the EGR pipe to the rear left hand side. Its off and can see a mark between the waterway and cylinder on piston 4 so result i hope.

Ebay now for a full head gasket set and bolts I wonder if there is any difference in quality?

That rear bolt on the EGR good heavens !!!!!!!

Col.
Colin K
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby metalworker0 » Wed Sep 14, 2022 12:48 pm

Colin K wrote:Hello Guys,
Update Missed the two bolts that hold on the EGR pipe to the rear left hand side. Its off and can see a mark between the waterway and cylinder on piston 4 so result i hope.

Ebay now for a full head gasket set and bolts I wonder if there is any difference in quality?

That rear bolt on the EGR good heavens !!!!!!!

Col.

Quality ...some cheap head gasket sets are like asbestos material, whereas the good ones will be multi-layered steel. "MLS"
A quality one would be the ordinal OE Ford or Elring or Payen
it's a long job to consider cheap head gasket ..go for the best.

Make sure you examine the head surface for flatness and imperfections ..if you find either, it will require a skim.
Note: there is not much leeway. Not much can be taken off...from what I've read here. ...And sometimes there are different thicknesses of head gaskets to compensate for this.

all the best..mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby knobby1 » Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:56 pm

Colin K wrote:Hello Guys,

That rear bolt on the EGR good heavens !!!!!!! Col.

What metalworker0 said....There are three different head gasket thicknesses depending on piston to deck height protrusion. You'll need to measure the protrusion using a dial gauge to get the correct gasket thickness.

The correct gasket thickness will then determine the correct compression ratio.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Colin K » Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:40 am

Hello Guys and Galls.

Update and HELP please. There is two cracks between the valves on two cylinders. You know she broke down due to the head gasket going that is really clear you can see the break in the old gasket..and I recon the cracks have been there since the cams exploded 20000 miles ago.

I dare nor rebuild her with the cracks there though I guess ??????

Lots of cylinder heads on ebay quite cheap for 2.2 models but not so many for the 2.4 Does anyone know if there is any difference please ....

Mine is a mk7 2.4 AF56VHT RWD must find out what euro she is

Any help as always appreciated.

Col.
Colin K
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby knobby1 » Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:22 pm

Colin K wrote:Hello Guys and Galls.

Update and HELP please. There is two cracks between the valves on two cylinders. You know she broke down due to the head gasket going that is really clear you can see the break in the old gasket..and I recon the cracks have been there since the cams exploded 20000 miles ago.

I dare nor rebuild her with the cracks there though I guess ??????

Lots of cylinder heads on ebay quite cheap for 2.2 models but not so many for the 2.4 Does anyone know if there is any difference please ....

Mine is a mk7 2.4 AF56VHT RWD must find out what euro she is Any help as always appreciated. Col.

Mk7 2.4 will be Euro-4. There are only three 2.4 Euro-4 engines, 100, 115 & 140. The 100 & 115 are pretty much identical, the early 140, (pre 29th March 2010), has a second oil filter in the rocker cover (and the plumbing to suit).

Early 140 rocker cover and centrifugal filter here..:

http://www.catcar.info/ford/?lang=en&l= ... g4NTgrMTMz

Be sure to get the complete head with cam carrier as they're a matched set.

http://www.catcar.info/ford/?lang=en&l= ... AwMTArMTMz

Lord Knobrot

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby metalworker0 » Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:34 pm

Looks like you have a choise ..buy new with no camshafts £400 +
buy recon, sometimes with no carrier

or someone bought this piece of crap for £150 ..looks like it's been recovered from the sea bed :)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Transit ... 5387631026?

i would go new and transfer the shafts over if they don't have wear on the bearing areas or buy the new shafts to go with them.

are those so-called new one's genuine ford?

btw - when searching ebay, to filter results, use a minus up against the word that you don't want to find

like so.
CYLINDER HEAD FORD TRANSIT 2.4 -gasket

That way you don't get hundreds of results with gaskets.

all the best..mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Jim Archer » Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:31 am

If it's done a gasket and been leaking for a while, it will want both head and block skimming if you don't want it going again pretty damn quick like.

Jim
Mk7 140 Jumbo - Vantunered.
289,000 and counting.
Jim Archer
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby metalworker0 » Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:39 am

Jim Archer wrote:If it's done a gasket and been leaking for a while, it will want both head and block skimming if you don't want it going again pretty damn quick like.

Jim

his head is scrap ..if you read further up ...has cracks

all the best.mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Colin K » Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:18 pm

Hello Chaps so appreciate the help.

Stuck again got a recon and skimmed head and back home now with dirty hands. !!!!

cannot find the blooming injection pump locating hole in the block its a 6mm pin On you tube looks to be @1/2 oclock lined up the crank and cams are esy but the bloomin injector pump has me stumped.

On the connect that i recently saved from the grave the pump didnt matter.

Just wondered if anyone was online

Thank you. Col.
Colin K
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Jim Archer » Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:55 pm

metalworker0 wrote:
Jim Archer wrote:If it's done a gasket and been leaking for a while, it will want both head and block skimming if you don't want it going again pretty damn quick like.

Jim

his head is scrap ..if you read further up ...has cracks

all the best.mark

To clarify ...

Jim
Mk7 140 Jumbo - Vantunered.
289,000 and counting.
Jim Archer
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Colin K » Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:41 pm

Helo Guys,
Thank you for your advise. Well head is on all torqued up and cam cogs/chain on loose. Looking good. Still could not find a hole for the blooming injector pump so setting it like all of the you tube pics with the 6mm hole in the cog in line with that cover bolt @2 oclock position.

I put a steel rule over the block and it looks all true so I think it will be ok. All new bolts for the exhaust which was a joy :) good old screwfix :)

With luck should be turning the key at lunchtime tomorrow.

Cheers Col.
Colin K
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby knobby1 » Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:26 pm

Colin K wrote:Helo Guys,
Thank you for your advise. Well head is on all torqued up and cam cogs/chain on loose. Looking good. Still could not find a hole for the blooming injector pump so setting it like all of the you tube pics with the 6mm hole in the cog in line with that cover bolt @2 oclock position.

I put a steel rule over the block and it looks all true so I think it will be ok. All new bolts for the exhaust which was a joy :) good old screwfix :)

Cheers Col.

TDCi pumps don't need " timing", so just fit the sprocket anywhere. Only the Mk6 TDDi needs timing up.

Lord Knobrot

knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Colin K » Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:44 am

knobby1 wrote:
Colin K wrote:Helo Guys,

Cheers Col.

TDCi pumps don't need " timing", so just fit the sprocket anywhere. Only the Mk6 TDDi needs timing up.

Lord Knobrot

Cheers on it in half an hour fingers crossed Thanks for the help.

Col.
Colin K
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Colin K » Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:25 am

Hello Guys,
Thought that I would give an update. Got her all back together just one failng the copper washers for the injectors were the wrong blooming size so I had to leave the old ones on. Not sure if this is a problem (to follow)

She started almost on the button and sounded fantastic definately less clanky than before. Then after ticking over for 5 minutes she stalled and now wont start ?? :(

There is a bit of a weep from a couple of the bleed off pipes on top of the injectors and two were hard to seat back on so new o rings for them.

Wonder if the copper washers have failed a bit or perhaps air locking due to the weeps?

Never know how tight to tighten the injector bolt up they look so blooming flimbsy and dont actually go tight. Is this the norm chaps ??

Thank you everso much chaps for all of your help Times are qite tough so being able to fix her myself a saver.

All the best Col.
Colin K
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Next

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits