*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

What's this hose?

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

What's this hose?

Postby SandyHenderson » Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:43 pm

Hi folks! Noticed I've got a slight leek from this hose and it's putting I assume diesel over my radiator hose and making a bit of a mess. Hopefully the pics are good enough. Any idea what the part is and where I can get it? Also will it be easy enough to replace?

Thanks again
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2006 T200L 1.8 Transit Connect 8)
Self Converted Micro Camper :wink:
Novice Mechanic Getting My Hands Dirty! :D
SandyHenderson
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: What's this hose?

Postby metalworker0 » Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:01 pm

Don't know much about them, think it's the brake vacuum pump , think soon you will have to press hard to stop ..as engine oil is leaking past the seals.

unless the oil is dripping from the inlet pipes from higher up and landing on it .
its quite common to have oil dripping from the joints on the inlet pipes (intercooler pipes) its caused by the engines breather system dumping oil inside of them

all the best.mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby SandyHenderson » Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:03 pm

To my eye it looks like it's been shot out at some pressure, not even sure if this is possible or not but it looks like it's the little hose/pipe that's caked in oil/diesel, but it's on some parts of the underside of the intake pipe you're talking about and slightly on the negative wire casing for the battery (which makes me think it's had pressure to cause it to reach those areas). That intake pipe seems fine though and I thought that was air in there? Forgive me for my lack of knowledge :lol:

Edit: wait!! I re read what you said. The breather system dumps oil in the pipes! Just curious.... My gearbox breather pipe was detached from the little thing next to the battery, when I got the van, I reconnected that maybe a year ago. Could this have something to do with it?
SandyHenderson
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby metalworker0 » Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:29 pm

Don't think it's the gearbox breather pipe causing the problem, it's just there to let the air above the gearbox oil expand and contract,
The vacuum pipes are under vacuum, so no pressure.. that's unless something has failed. but then you would feel that at the brakes.

But i would check your intake intercooler pipes first ..take the whole lot off, intercooler included and give it a good internal clean, bet you find a coffee cup full of oil distributed throughout the pipes and intercooler.

You need a good solvent ..i used washing up powder 50/50 with boiling water plug ends ..leave for 5 mins ....shake intercooler with this stuff in there ...then flush with more boiling water to get the crap out of it there several times until you are satisfied everything is clean and no powder residue remains.

Cheapo washing powder and must be the enzyme bio type.

all the best.mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby SandyHenderson » Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:43 am

Good idea! I may do this when I get some spare time. My brakes currently feel fine. Only things I've noticed that's changed is I have a slight coolant leak, seems to come and go. Also my demister in the cab is now terrible for some reason. It used to be decent but now I'm closing the driver and passenger facing vents just to try get some air on the windscreen. Opening both windows when it's raining now to stop it steaming up. Wonder if any of that's related too? Thanks mark! Appreciate your help mate
SandyHenderson
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby metalworker0 » Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:47 pm

SandyHenderson wrote:Good idea! I may do this when I get some spare time. My brakes currently feel fine. Only things I've noticed that's changed is I have a slight coolant leak, seems to come and go. Also my demister in the cab is now terrible for some reason. It used to be decent but now I'm closing the driver and passenger facing vents just to try get some air on the windscreen. Opening both windows when it's raining now to stop it steaming up. Wonder if any of that's related too? Thanks mark!
Appreciate your help mate

That could be the heater core leaking.!!!!!

Usually on any other car, a major x major job, - dash out! ..but all the fords I've worked on from the late 1980s have been quick and easy .no dash out.
before the 80's ..major ..had a 1978 fiesta --- hell of a job

sorry don't know what's involved with the connect.

if it has failed - hope it's easy for you.

one of the first symptoms is sweet smell, windscreen misting problems, and loss of coolant

btw ..there are a few posts here on the subject of the brake vacuum pump leaking ..if ignored the black engine oil may make its way up to the master cylinder !

all the best.mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby SandyHenderson » Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:34 pm

Very interesting Mark! I've checked my heater core for leaks and I don't see anything. Just got me curious now though because when I bought the van almost two year ago now, I noticed the heater core wasn't correctly seated onto the metal support bracket it sits on (as if it's been taken out to do some work and not put back properly). It sits fine, doesn't wobble and doesn't cause any issues so I've left it as is. Another thing is, my passenger footwell area has a cable tie holding the carpet stuff up under the glove box area (as if it's been cut and accessed for something too). I could be piecing together the problem here?
SandyHenderson
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby SandyHenderson » Mon Oct 17, 2022 6:46 pm

metalworker0 wrote:Don't think it's the gearbox breather pipe causing the problem, it's just there to let the air above the gearbox oil expand and contract,
The vacuum pipes are under vacuum, so no pressure.. that's unless something has failed. but then you would feel that at the brakes.

But i would check your intake intercooler pipes first ..take the whole lot off, intercooler included and give it a good internal clean, bet you find a coffee cup full of oil distributed throughout the pipes and intercooler.

You need a good solvent ..i used washing up powder 50/50 with boiling water plug ends ..leave for 5 mins ....shake intercooler with this stuff in there ...then flush with more boiling water to get the crap out of it there several times until you are satisfied everything is clean and no powder residue remains.

Cheapo washing powder and must be the enzyme bio type.

all the best.mark

Hi Mark, do you prefer to use the washing powder rather than thinners/petrol because it's safer? Is this a recommended way of cleaning it rather than using harsher stuff? Thanks
SandyHenderson
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby metalworker0 » Mon Oct 17, 2022 7:12 pm

note always use as hot as you can get it....and it must not be "non bio"...must be the biological stuff
1 It's cheap.( especially if you buy the supermarkets own brand or some obscure one)
2. does not harm anything but (it will take paint off in the concentrated form)
3. can be washed away with water
4 leaves no residue
5 it's really good at dissolving grease
will attack sensitive hands leaving them sore dry and inflamed....dont leave it on your skin wear gloves and eye protection

other solvents you can use are
jizer (good but expensive , washes away with water)
paraffin ( hard to get hold of when you want it ..about £8+ a gallon) - leaves greasy film
white spirit -- leaves greasy film
gunk - very expensive - washes away with water
diesel - leaves greasy film
DONT USE petrol - leaves greasy film - hard to wash away and youre breathing heavy fumes.

all the greasy film residues can be washed away with washing up liquid and hot water
petrol - leaves greasy film - hard to wash away
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Return to Transit Connect