*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Starter motor gone? symptoms/tests?

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Re: Starter motor gone? symptoms/tests?

Postby DG-Unit » Sat Jan 14, 2023 3:47 pm

Whipped the cluster out. No sign of bad connections for the plug but there is this weird scaring on lots of connections across the board. Is it done for?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2004 Transit SWB 85 T260
DG-Unit
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby DG-Unit » Sat Jan 14, 2023 4:09 pm

Well that’s interesting. Gave everything a clean with some circuit board contact cleaner front and back. Rolled the van to a parking space to get it off the double yellows (might not be relevant). Put the dash back in and it started plus the ABS light has gone out - I didn’t think it was related until i saw a post mentioning it on here as being linked to dash problems. Problem is i just don’t trust this van anymore to start when needed.
2004 Transit SWB 85 T260
DG-Unit
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby DG-Unit » Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:34 am

ABS light came back on. Can still worked until yesterday evening when it wouldn’t go anywhere. Tried cleaning the cluster circuit board again but nothing.

Possibly time to change the cluster gauges unless there’s somewhere I can send them off for repair?
2004 Transit SWB 85 T260
DG-Unit
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby ned » Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:31 am

Not sure if this helps,

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=189785#p1621438

Not the easiest to find with the title but is a good explanation on how to fix your clocks.
RUST IS LIGHTER THEN CARBON FIBRE

57 transit 85t260 2.2 swb, moondust silver.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=209987

03 transit 125t280 2.0 tdci swb 229,000 miles.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=168296
ned
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby knobby1 » Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:08 pm

DG-Unit wrote:Okay. The DTCs are in:

B1209 Instrument cluster switch bank 2 circuit failure
B1205 instrument cluster switch bank 1 circuit failure

A few days old I know.....but..."B" codes are usually BCM related...I didn't even think a Mk6 had a BCM..?? :? Very confusing.

What code reader was used..??

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby DG-Unit » Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:29 pm

knobby1 wrote:
DG-Unit wrote:Okay. The DTCs are in:

B1209 Instrument cluster switch bank 2 circuit failure
B1205 instrument cluster switch bank 1 circuit failure

A few days old I know.....but..."B" codes are usually BCM related...I didn't even think a Mk6 had a BCM..?? :? Very confusing.

What code reader was used..??

Lord Knobrot

Forscan
2004 Transit SWB 85 T260
DG-Unit
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby DG-Unit » Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:32 pm

ned wrote:Not sure if this helps,

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=189785#p1621438

Not the easiest to find with the title but is a good explanation on how to fix your clocks.

Thanks. I’ll give this a go before spending £120 to send it off for repair. I think the codes made me think it’s defo something bigger than I can sort but it’s worth a try :D
2004 Transit SWB 85 T260
DG-Unit
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby DG-Unit » Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:51 pm

Ugh. Re-soldered the connector contacts. I’m not getting any DTC codes but it also struggles to read the Instrument Cluster module now and then. Still no start, multimeter is giving me 11.56v at the batter contacts and similar in the engine bay. The battery indicator window is still nice and green (75% apparently) but it doesn’t get going with my Noco Boost jump pack. I can’t really understand why a 6 month old battery has lost so much charge over 5 days and still indicate good condition but maybe it is what it is.
2004 Transit SWB 85 T260
DG-Unit
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby ned » Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:00 pm

DG-Unit wrote:Ugh. Re-soldered the connector contacts. I’m not getting any DTC codes but it also struggles to read the Instrument Cluster module now and then. Still no start, multimeter is giving me 11.56v at the batter contacts and similar in the engine bay. The battery indicator window is still nice and green (75% apparently) but it doesn’t get going with my Noco Boost jump pack. I can’t really understand why a 6 month old battery has lost so much charge over 5 days and still indicate good condition but maybe it is what it is.

My old mk6 wouldn’t start with less then 12.6v and wouldn’t jump start either, start ya b*stard used to get that going in those conditions lol, the battery should be under warranty so take it back, many years ago I worked for an auto factors and the “new” batteries would sit on the shelf for months, once a months the company would trickle charge about 20 at a time to keep them topped up.

ned
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby DG-Unit » Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:56 pm

ned wrote:
DG-Unit wrote:Ugh. Re-soldered the connector contacts. I’m not getting any DTC codes but it also struggles to read the Instrument Cluster module now and then. Still no start, multimeter is giving me 11.56v at the batter contacts and similar in the engine bay. The battery indicator window is still nice and green (75% apparently) but it doesn’t get going with my Noco Boost jump pack. I can’t really understand why a 6 month old battery has lost so much charge over 5 days and still indicate good condition but maybe it is what it is.

My old mk6 wouldn’t start with less then 12.6v and wouldn’t jump start either, start ya b*stard used to get that going in those conditions lol, the battery should be under warranty so take it back, many years ago I worked for an auto factors and the “new” batteries would sit on the shelf for months, once a months the company would trickle charge about 20 at a time to keep them topped up.

Pretty sure I’ve still got the receipt for the battery so I can take that back. However, the battery indicator seems to suggest it’s good. I’ve since read that the instrument cluster problems can cause unusual draining of the battery - not sure how but this would explain a lot and all roads leading to the cluster. It’s just a tricky one to commit to £120-200 for refurbing the cluster. I might try get a super cheap used one and then jump start it to see if that is the problem but no guarantee a used one isn’t also trash.
2004 Transit SWB 85 T260
DG-Unit
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby ned » Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:31 pm

I don’t actually know what those green things in the viewing window do, do they point to the cells being good or voltage or amps, my daughters car battery was showing green but read only 8 volts, bloody batteries eh

ned
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby gotgcoalman » Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:31 pm

The green light is a device to make you think a battery is in good condition,when it's actually fooked.

It's to make you blame other components and replace them due to the light saying the battery is in good health.

See pic,light is green and battery is fooked.

IMG_20230125_192105.jpg

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ne m'écoute pas je suis plein de merde.
A house without a dog is like a forum without a BJT.
Too bloody quiet :shock:
gotgcoalman
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby DG-Unit » Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:21 am

gotgcoalman wrote:The green light is a device to make you think a battery is in good condition,when it's actually fooked.

It's to make you blame other components and replace them due to the light saying the battery is in good health.

See pic,light is green and battery is fooked.

IMG_20230125_192105.jpg

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

This may be a good point. Especially as I got the battery from Halfords (although it’s a Yuasa one).

Another day of the saga. Got a friend to clip some jump leads from their car. Got it beyond 12.6v resting and it still wouldn’t start with or without the other car attached. Left it reading 12.5v on Forscan (after a crank attempt) and switched the isolator so the instrument cluster is off. Will check it over a couple of days to see what the drain is like and if there’s nothing will switch the isolator back on and see if a fault in the cluster might be draining it. either way i think my multimeter is screwed for sure (was reading all sorts that made no sense). It’s still sometimes reading the IC module on Forscan if I haven’t read the codes for a little bit but after that only reads the PCM - when either do show there’s no codes so maybe the re-soldering did the trick and the battery is just fooked? Ugh - feels like I’m still just guessing.
2004 Transit SWB 85 T260
DG-Unit
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Nordic Blue » Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:26 pm

Hi DG-Unit,

If you're still getting issues it might be worth rechecking your soldering. When I did mine to fix intermittent readout and dials, the first time I put it back in the force of the plug clipping home broke a couple of the solder joints I hadn't done so well and had to redo them.
2009 Renault Trafic Sport Crew Cab

Vans I have also owned:
1982 MK 2 SWB Transit
1992 Fiat Ducato
1993 MK 4 SWB Transit
2005 MK 6 SWB T280 Transit
Nordic Blue
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby DG-Unit » Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:41 pm

Nordic Blue wrote:Hi DG-Unit,

If you're still getting issues it might be worth rechecking your soldering. When I did mine to fix intermittent readout and dials, the first time I put it back in the force of the plug clipping home broke a couple of the solder joints I hadn't done so well and had to redo them.

I’ve sent it off now so let’s see what they say about my soldering. I went for a company that offered lifetime warranty so I suspect the instrument cluster will be the most valuable spare part when one day (hopefully long away) it goes to the scrappies in the sky. As part of the form I did a little history and realised the instrument cluster has been slowly dying on me:

Aug 2020 - Digi screens faded/intermittent. Fixed with brake cleaner
Oct 2021 - Time clock and mileage counter resetting after key removed from ignition (left digi screen). Intermittent start up problems/ not starting on first key turn
Jul 2022 - ABS light appears on dash but no identified mechanical ABS faults
Aug 2022 - Intermittent start issues not linked to battery charge level. Dials drop to zero while moving but return quickly after.
Jan 2023 - Vehicle won’t start. Fixed with contact cleaner on both sides of PCB. 1 week later vehicle still won’t start regardless of cleaning PCB. Instrument Cluster intermittently not being read on diagnostic scan. When is readable showed diagnostic trouble codes:
B1209 Instrument cluster switch bank 2 circuit failure, B1205 instrument cluster switch bank 1 circuit failure. Resoldered connector points on PCB but no change.
2004 Transit SWB 85 T260
DG-Unit
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

PreviousNext

Return to Technical Problems & Questions