*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

2011 Transit Connect Temp Issue

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

2011 Transit Connect Temp Issue

Postby Lordy9099 » Sat Jan 21, 2023 1:18 pm

Hi Guys,

I've had my 2011 transit connect for around 12 months now and ever since I got this, I've always had issues with the temp gauge, I changed the stat when I bought it with a ECP but recently the heater wasn't getting hot so I changed the thermostat again with a genuine ford one and this resolved the heaters not getting hot, but still having the gauge read cold to just over cold.

I've read live data and on a motorway, at 60-70mph the coolant temp reads between 80-95 degrees and the gauge sits between 2/4 and 1/2 way but as soon as the van drops to 30-40mph again the temp drops right down again.

I've had this with my local mechanic to take a look and he can't find any issues and everything seems to be working correctly however the gauge is still sitting at cold. He has a slightly older one 2009 and said this this also struggles to get up to temperature and it's a common issue with these vans not being able to reach operating temperature but I'm not convinced.

Does anyone have a similar year and is this normal for the connects to struggle to run at operating temperature?

Cheers,
Lordy9099

Re: 2011 Transit Connect Temp Issue

Postby metalworker0 » Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:34 pm

In the winter these vans run cold and do have a job heating up ..don't make judgements on these vans in the winter period!

i made this judgement last winter ...and there was nothing wrong with my van ..i read up o it ....my conclusions below.

If you are comparing to a petrol vehicle you had in the past with diesels ..they are totally different ...
Petrol runs 14: 1 fuel ratio at best ...burning more petrol at that ratio makes more heat
A diesel can run at up to 200: 1 at best ...especially if your only tickling the throttle, not using full; acceleration etc
from cold start - left ticking over in minus conditions my connect tddi engine would take an hour to reach running temperature or may not get to running temperature at all . ..same cant be said for all petrol engined vehicles I've had.
Note: last 7- 8 years or so ...ford are now putting shutter/ blind mechanisms in front of the radiators on their diesels to help them warm up quicker.

all the best....mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby bortaf » Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:30 pm

Mines way earlyer 03 but the temp sits the same winter and summer, mind you i allways use recirc air in the winter and hang a blanket behind the seats to save heat/fuel, do you have the later fiesta dash (with round heat outlets) , i think the temp runs via the BCM on them but not sure?
Current fleet
Mk7 transit ambulance
Mk1 tourneo connect
Mk1 Mondeo 1.8 STD
Mk5 fiesta 1.25
Fusion 1.4TDCi
bortaf
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Lordy9099 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:04 am

Hi guys,

I’ve had diesels for the last 6 years and never had this on any, granted in winter they’ll take longer to reach operating temperature but I’ve never seen one hit operating temperature and then cool down again and not maintain the operating temp. Surely that’s the idea of the stat to partially close or open to maintain operating temp. Can’t understand what could be causing it to overcooled but I’ve put a brand new genuine ford thermostat in and still can’t maintain temperature
Lordy9099

Postby metalworker0 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:58 pm

You can drive like me and dodder around saving fuel and get the effect you are getting ...but only if in very cold conditions ..anything above 5c and mine, its right as rain.

Consider other factors.

If you drive like a mad man or you like putting foot down, you'll never see this problem.
Engine has over 5.6 litres of oil to warm up
Engine has oil cooler - which means warm up happens not just to the cooling system ..the whole lot is involved.
Cast iron engines are known for slow warm up.
or
Heater
You are starting the engine from cold ..and having your heater on ...the heater is independent of the engine thermostat, and if on full right from the start will greatly lengthen time to warm up in cold conditions. in very cold conditions, left on, it can over cool your engine.
I don't turn my heater on 'till i see the temp gauge make it over the first sector.
and i don't just mean the blower ..I'm talking about having the temperature dial turned to the hot position.

if non of the above

Note: there are several different thermostats for connects ..some have bi-pass extensions on them / some don't

so its entirely possible you've fitted the wrong one. these aren't necessarily connects, just examples

two types of thermostat

here:

types 1 see the closing device on the bottom of it

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224229642177 ... SwqvRi1pzD

type 2 - no closing bi-pass device

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/292972502161 ... SwhW1cbVlJ

all the best.mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Lordy9099 » Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:31 pm

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your reply, I have a 3.2L Diesel S class that takes 8.5L of oil and that's at operating temp (92 degrees) within 5-10 miles at 0 degrees, the connection just does not get up to temperature at all, infact it doesn't even reach the 1st notch no matter what I try.

Looking at those pictures I cant really see the difference however mine looks like the first one.

Cheers,
Lordy9099

Postby metalworker0 » Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:07 pm

I don't know then , I've been through everything, a new thermostat can be faulty from new, cheap Chinese copy and don't work right ,somebody could have bi-passed something like egr cooler ..with other hoses like oil cooler and got it incorrectly plumbed.
Or it is reaching the right temperature ..and your temperature sender unit is faulty or the gauge is reading incorrectly.
A few people i know say that the connects lousy at heating up quickly, but if yours never gets there ..there is something wrong!
There have also been faults reported in the instrument clusters, bad solder joints, corrosion etc that leads to all sorts of happening.

all the best..mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Return to Transit Connect