*NOW BOOKED FOR 2026* Transitmania 17 @ Santa Pod 17th to 19th July 2026 *ALL DETAILS HERE*


Voltage panel meter

Transit Mk1 & 2 Forum. All Transits 1965 - 1986

Moderator: Luke

Voltage panel meter

Postby sam l » Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:55 pm

Hi, I'd like to stick a meter in the van to tell me how many volts are currently (sorry!) residing in my battery. I bought one from ebay but it doesn't seem to work, cycling through a large range of unlikely sounding voltages when I stick the red and black wires on the respective bits of my jumpstart box. Then in got hot and started to smell. It has 5 jumper switches on it but they don't seem to do anything much except change where the decimal point goes. Anyone know where I can get one that works? I know in old landies they had ones with a needle, this is what started me off on this cos I always seem to have a knackered alternator and would like to know when to bring the battery in for a top up!


Thanks,

Sam
sam l
Transit Addict
Transit Addict
 
Posts: 95
Joined: Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:22 pm

Re: Voltage panel meter

Postby dcwuk » Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:30 am

'I have opinions of my own -- strong opinions -- but I don't always agree with them.'
-George Bush
User avatar
dcwuk
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado
 
Posts: 386
Joined: Sat Jun 17, 2006 7:34 pm
Location: suffolk newmarket area

Re: Voltage panel meter

Postby evanmandos » Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:59 am

volt meters don't cost much, just go to a radio shack/conrad/electronic partner or whatever its called in the UK :P any volt meter which at leat measures 14V will be OK. If you'd really like it to look nice, get an old army transceiver and use the 'S-meter' of it, fiddle a bit with a resistor in front of the meter(+ side) to get the scale to line up with your battery voltage(so 12 on the meter is average battery voltage), looks awesome costs a pound :P

only plus of a car-voltage meter is that it fits in standard dashboard brackets from the car-accesoires shop.
Personally i think 20 pounds(about 30 euros isnt it) is a bit expensive since they cost about 50p if you buy standard volt-meters in bulk :P
evanmandos
Transit Addict
Transit Addict
 
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:28 am
Location: Wolvega, Netherlands


Return to Mk 1 & 2



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated.