*NOW BOOKED FOR 2026* Transitmania 17 @ Santa Pod 17th to 19th July 2026 *ALL DETAILS HERE*


Sizing

An area for members to hang out and chat, discuss anything transit related!

Moderator: Luke

Sizing

Postby MarkM » Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:49 pm

Hi all, looking for some sizing information.
I 'may' be in the market for a SWB Low roof MK7 or MK6 at a push but I have a slight issue with the parking situation for the van.
Currently I have a MK5 which fits where I need it to.
Now the question...what is the size, width wise of a MK5? as I can't seem to find these dimensions...the MK6 and 7 are the same and that info is in the Ford Brochures, too wide and I will have to go with another make of van as I can't go knocking down buildings to make a Transit fit. A new van has to be bought due to the LEZ BS which is very fast approaching.

Strangely I also need the size with the mirror (Drivers side) folded in as when I shifted from a MK3 to a MK5 I found the mirror (folded) made the van a little bit wider when parking, though it still fitted...I have approximately 4 inches of clearance both sides at the rear, I am hoping this is enough to get away with.
Madly the van is pushed upwards towards the drivers side due to a bump I can't remove so a height difference could also come into play, I was in the back of a MK7 last week and there seemed to be a lot more space headroom wise over the MK5, so widthwise it 'may' be similar but too high and I am back to square 1 looking at other makes.
Sorry for the rambling but as I have a rather awkward parking space, other factors have to be taken into consideration.
User avatar
MarkM
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic
 
Posts: 2576
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:35 pm
Location: Essex

Re: Sizing

Postby bigmastif » Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:26 pm

mark try autotrader, just look up a mk5 and then a mk6-mk7 and get the dimensions thru the technical data bit :wink:
User avatar
bigmastif
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic
 
Posts: 3866
Joined: Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:37 pm
Location: Glasgow

Re: Sizing

Postby FredTransit » Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:33 pm

Don't expect the LEZ to leave you alone just cos you bought a newer van! Euro 5 is coming, and they will make that the standard. Better you fit a pinto in your Mk5, mind you I don't know how long that will work, but got to be cheaper than buying another van.
A Transit is for life, not just for Christmas. http://www.a2ecommercials.webs.com
My galleries - http://a2ecommercials.webs.com/apps/photos/
User avatar
FredTransit
Mk2 Trannyist
 
Posts: 17470
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2005 4:34 am
Location: London

Re: Sizing

Postby sc_BK » Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:33 pm

I'm confused, why do you need to know the width of the mk5 when you're buying a mk6/7? :?
User avatar
sc_BK
Remapped by Vantuner
 
Posts: 6100
Joined: Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:14 am
Location: Ross Shire............. Transit: Mk7 LWB

Re: Sizing

Postby MrMPuk » Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:41 pm

sc_BK wrote:I'm confused, why do you need to know the width of the mk5 when you're buying a mk6/7? :?

Maybe he doesn't have a tape measure. :lol: :lol:
MrMPuk
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist
 
Posts: 27856
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2005 7:50 am

Re: Sizing

Postby AndyG » Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:25 pm

FredTransit wrote:Don't expect the LEZ to leave you alone just cos you bought a newer van! Euro 5 is coming, and they will make that the standard.

Show me exactly where it states this applies to vans between 1305 to 1760kg :!: :!: (ie;Class ll EU Emission Standards for Light Commercial Vehicles/Most Transit vans)
Image
Ford Transit 120 TDI EPIC Automatic. 0-60 in a leisurely and smooth 12.7 seconds and 1/4 mile in 19.1 seconds. Now where's all these faster? manual Di s?
User avatar
AndyG
Site Admin
 
Posts: 27833
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:14 am
Location: West London

Re: Sizing

Postby AndyG » Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:48 pm

Overall width of a MK5 is 1972mm without mirrors (according to the handbook)

Overall width of a MK5 is 1974mm/77.7inches without mirrors (according to the brochure)
Image
Ford Transit 120 TDI EPIC Automatic. 0-60 in a leisurely and smooth 12.7 seconds and 1/4 mile in 19.1 seconds. Now where's all these faster? manual Di s?
User avatar
AndyG
Site Admin
 
Posts: 27833
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:14 am
Location: West London

Re: Sizing

Postby MarkM » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:36 am

sc_BK wrote:I'm confused, why do you need to know the width of the mk5 when you're buying a mk6/7? :?


Because the gap the MK5 I own fits into perfectly might be too small for a MK6/7

Since I don't have a sales brochure for a MK5 it was easier to ask here.

Andyg wrote:
Overall width of a MK5 is 1972mm without mirrors (according to the handbook)

Overall width of a MK5 is 1974mm/77.7inches without mirrors (according to the brochure)


:?:

FredTransit wrote:Don't expect the LEZ to leave you alone just cos you bought a newer van! Euro 5 is coming, and they will make that the standard. Better you fit a pinto in your Mk5, mind you I don't know how long that will work, but got to be cheaper than buying another van.


Fred, no way am I fitting a Pinto into a Transit, been there and done that with a Transit that was built like that from the factory, it was thirsty and gutless, at least the MK5 keeps going with a load on and is better on fuel than the basically underpowered Pinto...that rant over :lol: :wink:
A MK7 is Euro IV so at least two stages ahead of the current legislation so sure Euro V will come into force but not for around 5 ish years if not longer by that time it will be time for a new van anyway...I don't keep vans that long :wink: .
Of course I would prefer not to move along with a new van but needs must and all things being equal I should be able to afford to comply. Simply by complying will put me ahead with the next milestone plus as I will be compliant my competition mainly won't be so the van will pay for itself very quickly, especially as I will add some kind of premium to offset the expense....just as everyone else who has had to bring their vehicles up to date...same issue as the congestion charge but this time time you really will be able to get the extra added onto a job.
User avatar
MarkM
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic
 
Posts: 2576
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:35 pm
Location: Essex

Re: Sizing

Postby AndyG » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:50 am

MarkM wrote:Since I don't have a sales brochure for a MK5 it was easier to ask here.

Andyg wrote:
Overall width of a MK5 is 1972mm without mirrors (according to the handbook)

Overall width of a MK5 is 1974mm/77.7inches without mirrors (according to the brochure)


:?:

:?: :?: :?:


Overall width of a MK5 is 1974mm (according to What Van ? ) :wink:
Image
Ford Transit 120 TDI EPIC Automatic. 0-60 in a leisurely and smooth 12.7 seconds and 1/4 mile in 19.1 seconds. Now where's all these faster? manual Di s?
User avatar
AndyG
Site Admin
 
Posts: 27833
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:14 am
Location: West London

Re: Sizing

Postby MarkM » Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:12 am

Andyg wrote:
MarkM wrote:Since I don't have a sales brochure for a MK5 it was easier to ask here.

Andyg wrote:
Overall width of a MK5 is 1972mm without mirrors (according to the handbook)

Overall width of a MK5 is 1974mm/77.7inches without mirrors (according to the brochure)


:?:

:?: :?: :?:

Overall width of a MK5 is 1974mm (according to What Van ? ) :wink:


Ok, thanks I understand now :lol: .

It seems Fords regarding the MK7 are either a little optimistic or their tape measure is a different one to the rest of the world as they give the MK7 as being 2360 wide with mirrors, so take from that the MK5 size and you have a mirror length of 193mm (both sides included) so that equals a 10cmish wing mirror? I thought they stuck out a lot more than that :lol:
User avatar
MarkM
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic
 
Posts: 2576
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:35 pm
Location: Essex

Re: Sizing

Postby AndyG » Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:21 am

ImageDunno mate :!:
Why can't they give dimensions with AND without mirrors :?:

Looks like the tape measure will have to come out :!: :lol:
Image
Ford Transit 120 TDI EPIC Automatic. 0-60 in a leisurely and smooth 12.7 seconds and 1/4 mile in 19.1 seconds. Now where's all these faster? manual Di s?
User avatar
AndyG
Site Admin
 
Posts: 27833
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:14 am
Location: West London

Re: Sizing

Postby MarkM » Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:31 am

Well a little more searching and the Ford PDF gives the sizes as
2374 with mirrors
1974 without mirrors

So same size as a MK5 then, so no issues to be had.....dunno if a test drive includes a 'test park' though :lol:

Why can't there be some consistancy on a site when the info is copied across, the front page says 2360 downloadable PDF says otherwise...crazy :evil:

Looking at the load space dimensions, due to FWD that accounts for the extra headroom in the back, quite a difference if the RWD option is taken.
User avatar
MarkM
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic
 
Posts: 2576
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:35 pm
Location: Essex


Return to Transit Talk



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot]

This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated.