*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Reverse light switch

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

Reverse light switch

Postby prraftery » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:36 pm

Hi everyone,
New member on board.Have Ford Connect T200L 2004. Reversing lights not working,bought new switch from Ford, silver in colour. Problem is i cannot find switch on gearbox to replace it. The only thing that i can find that looks as if it could be the switch is a black plastic coated large connector near the top right hand side of box (thats when i am under van with feet facing to front of van).Q. am i looking at the right thing or am i looking in the wrong area. I have looked at rest of box and cannot see any other place where ir can go. Is this just a plastic cover over the switch. Thanks
prraftery

Re: Reverse light switch

Postby coconut » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:14 pm

Sounds like it, screws into the gear selector housing and has a 2 pin multiplug going to it :!:
I miss my 'courtesy van'............140 Glx..now a Jumbo :(
coconut
Ford Technician

Postby prraftery » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:09 pm

thanks, thats exactly the one i have in front of me, but i cant find it on gearbox
prraftery

Postby microgerry » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:29 pm

My reversing lights don't work either so would be interested in the outcome. Only discovered it today and van is out on the road so not had chance to even check the bulbs yet! Keep us posted.
microgerry
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby prraftery » Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:15 am

will keep you posted, going to bring it to garage to get it sorted--probably monday. I still can't find switch on gearbox and as far as i know i am not blind--just probably stupid.
prraftery

Postby prraftery » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:33 pm

OK folks. Fixed reverse lights myself. The problem was with the switch cost €11-00. I eventually found the position of the switch.???/ In order to get to the switch you have
to take out the battery and the air filter housing and there it is , right on top of the gearbox next to the selectors.From what i can see there is no other way to get to it.
Note: when taking out battery make sure you have the code for your radio otherwise you will have a radio problem.
1.Take out battery 2. Take off battery housing- three bolts-there are a number of leads clipped to housing make sure all are disconnected before you start tugging it out.3 Take out air filter housing - i disconnected sensor on breather pipe just in case i might damage it - disconnect and twist off sensor.Air filter housing will just lift out when you give it a "tug" it's not bolted. With a torch you will see the switch -- directly under the suspension mountings (hard to see at first glance).
4.Pull off connector(black plastic connector with two wires) from switch. You now need a 22mm long socket so that it will fit in over switch e.g. like a plug wrench socket note: a short 22mm socket will not do. There is not much room to work with , once you have socket in place give it a tug anti clockwise--once you have it loosened it will screw off easily.Best of luck.
OVERALL COMMENT------ It's a stupid,stupid place to have a reverse light switch and i would'nt like to think what a garage would charge in labour costs. It took me about two hours but admittedly if i knew what i was doing it would not have taken as long.
P.S. Before you start , it might be worth checking the fuse for the reverse lights this is fuse number 53 on the panel. Fuse panel is behind glove box. Just squeeze both end of glove box side panels and you will get it to drop down along with all of the contents of glove box.These instructions are for a "Connect T200L".2004.
prraftery

Postby fmarton » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:07 pm

Just registered to say thank you for this almost 10 years old post. :)
Just bought one of this, year 2003 with no rev lights, your post helped me out, so reading it or not, I thank you!
fmarton

Postby Milemuncher » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:51 pm

I replaced the switch last year so it must be fairly common.

I noticed the reversing sensors had gone a bit intermittent and feared a big bill, but saw the lights were also on and off, so investigated the switch. Being a bit mean, I first tested the circuit by shorting the pins on the connector after spending two hours locating it..as you say remove the airbox etc. i didn't find the need to remove the battery as that would have been too easy. A torch and a mirror was my solution....

Hands cut to shreds and a bent paperclip proved a faulty switch, duly bought for about £11 as you say. Should have bought the switch first to save doing this palaver twice...

Not having suitable spanner, I managed to get the mole grips on it (yes I know) but it was very easy to undo and I caused no damage (for a change)

Feeling suitably pleased I called my other half to see my amazing work and show her the reversing lights & sensors now worked again, however she just said "oh" and went back in.
Milemuncher
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby fmarton » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:59 am

OMG, the very same happens to me every time I fix something! :lol:

I called my other half to see my amazing work and show her the reversing lights & sensors now worked again, however she just said "oh" and went back in.
fmarton

Return to Transit Connect