*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

TransitMania 2010 lol

Look in here for the latest on our show Transitmania 14 @ Santa Pod on 12th and 13th of August 2023 and information of past shows

Moderators: Luke, AlanN

Re: TransitMania 2010 lol

Postby noobrider » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:03 pm

Yeah I think there is so much to be learnt from doing your first show. I'm sure this thread will be enormous as will the show. Perhaps this thread needs a bit of organising so we can make a check list.

Here's a summary of some of the suggestions so far:

Light Show
Keep the public voting with prize draws
Arrange the show and shine into the categories to make judging easier for the public
Certificates as well as trophies
Trailer reversing competition (Tardis is barred :lol: )
Van pull
Nominal Entry fee to fund additional bits and pieces and gain commitment
More organisation on the camping side ( might be difficult but worth some consideration)
Revision of categories - Connects, county's, Self builds, coach builds etc)
Better use of the marquee
Everyone promote the show for trade stands

Having some family events would encourage attendance, something for the kids to do without abusing the amusement arcades lol. Make the most of the 2 days get them interested and wanting to come. Organised games or something, our own amusements...ping pong balls in the jar, radio controlled car racing...playstation/Wii/Xbox competion...that kind of thing. Pay per play though to fund the event.

A set program of events with timings published and advertised.

Can we get Ford interested? Local/national Press/TV? There is plenty of photo's and a brand image to do some great marketing with.

Sponsor a charity get them to help with advertising.

Site merchandise/collectables...collect one from each show Tshirts mugs stickers etc also generates funds.

I'm sure I can think of a few more as time goes on.
noobrider
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Britishbulldog » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:16 pm

I spoke to terry about maybe suggesting some kind of 'commitee' for this kind of event due to the sheer amount of behind the scenes work involved :idea:

I understand that being a national/worldwide forum communication is limited but anything to project a good PR image for FTF forum for next year's event can only be a + for all members involved, this annual event can only strive from strength to strength more member involvement.
Britishbulldog
formerly known as charly

Postby madmark_50484 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:51 pm

noobrider wrote:Having some family events would encourage attendance, something for the kids to do without abusing the amusement arcades lol. Make the most of the 2 days get them interested and wanting to come. Organised games or something, our own amusements...ping pong balls in the jar, radio controlled car racing...playstation/Wii/Xbox competion...that kind of thing. Pay per play though to fund the event.

I found the 2p drops very generous we got 5 keyrings for less than £7 !! in southend on sea you would only get the 1 but seriously plenty to do oin billing there was fishing hiring boat a fun fair and other things.
Past
MK5 98 R reg Transit 190 LWB Semi hi Top
Mk5 98 S reg Transit 190 LWB High Cube
Present
Mk5 96 N Reg Transit Luton

Forum for bus enthusiasts and preservationists
www.busesuk.co.uk
madmark_50484
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby noobrider » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:24 pm

Yeah we got more keyrings, teddy's and classic rally car models than we knew what to do with and didn't have to spend that much to get them. Also the amusement staff were very helpful and generous. Crazy golf was good fun and I did fancy having a go in one of the Zorbs on the water, looked hilarious.

I agree there is a lot to do at Billing for all the family, was just suggesting something to centre around the show to give a bit more of a family show feel rather than Transit addicts like us. What it also does is allows the Transit families to mingle a bit more and keeps everyone involved in the show itself. There's nothing to say that the fun and games can't be Transit orientated. Just a thought
noobrider
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Gurj51ngh » Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:13 pm

Wow all you guys are already up for another 1 :!: Good stuff! lol

If all goes well I could do a ps3 x box set up in the back of me new van next year?

Also early next year I am going to get on to a Car audio shop a pretty big 1. Ask them if they would like to come down and do a trade stand and also bring their professional equipment for the sound off.

Construction, Bespoke Joinery & AV fit out services.
Gurj51ngh
Forums Loudest Van!

Postby fastmower » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:08 pm

Luke wrote: this was the 1st event like this ive organised so it was a big learning curve

Well I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks you did a belting job mate - if I had a hat I'd take it off to ya!

If I can do anything to help out for next year I'd be happy to volunteer my services. I'd also be happy to chuck some money in to get you back towards the black at the bank if you like - you only need to ask.

Oh Gurj - what's with this pro outfit you're after bringing - was your van not quite loud enough or something? :lol: :lol:

Cheers,

Andy
From four vans to two :-(

1997 Mk5 County Transit 4x4
2003 Mk6 ex RAC 330 SWB
fastmower
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby AlanN » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:14 pm

I know some people seem to love Billing and dont get me wrong it was OK, but I think the entrance fee was an oppertunaty lost... Ive always tried to be self contained and all I did, was pee in their dirty toilet. I'd have rather paid Luke the £30 for the weekend to be in a field with a generator and enjoyed as it was over the last weekend. I know people have familys, but it seems an oppertunaty lost at a different venue.
Ive said it before, Luke is this forum and Im proud of him. I would love to help more next year :D

Ducks and runs for cover
Ford Transit MK3 1989 2.8i V6 Auto Member of the MK3 Massive

R.I.P Kirk Bacon aka Eugene Speed
AlanN
Site Moderator

Postby Luke » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:29 pm

AlanN wrote:I know some people seem to love Billing and dont get me wrong it was OK, but I think the entrance fee was an oppertunaty lost... Ive always tried to be self contained and all I did, was pee in their dirty toilet. I'd have rather paid Luke the £30 for the weekend to be in a field with a generator and enjoyed as it was over the last weekend. I know people have familys, but it seems an oppertunaty lost at a different venue.
Ive said it before, Luke is this forum and Im proud of him. I would love to help more next year :D

Ducks and runs for cover
i take your point Alan :D - before i booked billing i did try different venues, my origanal idea was just a field like you suggest, but the problems i got was a lot need local planning permission to be used for events (ok you might get away with it short term but long term you'd need it), those which had it allready granted (ones like car boots etc.) were generally restricted to a set amount of events per year so by allowing us a weekend they were loosing out on others financially so they wanted a fair amount of money to rent us the field, the other thing is you need stuff like toilets (again more cost) and another way of looking at it is all those with familys who did use the facilites who also brought along a transit might not have done so if the billing facilities wernt there :idea:
Luke
Site Admin

Postby tranny pimp » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:11 pm

hi there i think if there was some trade stands there would be really good i will be having a word with van-x a company by me who sales ,all customs stuff for transit.mercs,vw.and trucks hope to get him next year and the vans need putting in order.
tranny pimp

Postby Terry » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:36 pm

Heres my 2 pennyworth

I belong to a Scorpio 'club' and we have had run-ins with Billing
They say you cannot use a hired marquee !, You cannot book before the 'new' year.
I doubt they would allow actual events use-ing vehicle (too many people/kids e.t.c).

Vehicle judging, one vote per category, makes the workload much reduced, as you mark the vote per vehicle, you will also be counting the 2nd /3rd e.t.c. places too.
Lots of clubs/organisers give out 'attendance plaques........
That way everybody goes away with something !
Certificates will mean a computer/printer & laminator (to not mention a generator) on site.

Other venues ( personally I think Billing is way overpriced), We checked out Gaydon & they wanted £600 per night for security (if camping) but gave reduced entry fees :).
We checked out Mallory Park Circuit (Leceicester) and they were FULLY booked (they do lots of m/cycle events.)
Any help I can give ( apart from loads of money) I will gladly do so.
Finally everybody on here is correct Luke you did an excellent job, even moreso that it was your first attempt........VERY WELL DONE, and thanks for your efforts.
Terry
I got a little black book with me poems in
Pallet Puller
Terry
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Gurj51ngh » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:56 pm

fastmower wrote:
Luke wrote: this was the 1st event like this ive organised so it was a big learning curve

Well I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks you did a belting job mate - if I had a hat I'd take it off to ya!

If I can do anything to help out for next year I'd be happy to volunteer my services. I'd also be happy to chuck some money in to get you back towards the black at the bank if you like - you only need to ask.

Oh Gurj - what's with this pro outfit you're after bringing - was your van not quite loud enough or something?
:lol: :lol:

Cheers,

Andy

Lol no it maxed out the db meter :shock: :lol:

Construction, Bespoke Joinery & AV fit out services.
Gurj51ngh
Forums Loudest Van!

Postby markbradleyf1 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:09 pm

How about promoting it on Youtube with some video and slides of this years meet? :!: :idea:
SOUTH-WEST MEET #2; COMING SOON! ;-)
markbradleyf1
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby fastmower » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:10 pm

Gurj51ngh wrote:
Lol no it maxed out the db meter :shock: :lol:

Yes I know it did mate - that doesn't mean it's not loud enough though :lol: :lol: It means it's MORE than loud enough - honestly - I thought you of all people would know how a dB meter works :wink: :wink:

You actually got me watching youtube videos of people wobbling shop windows and blowing windscreens out dammit!

Cheers matey,

Andy
From four vans to two :-(

1997 Mk5 County Transit 4x4
2003 Mk6 ex RAC 330 SWB
fastmower
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Terry » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:27 pm

Sorry a couple of things I missed on my last post.
FTF needs a paypal account , we need a 'body' who can be trusted :) , to look after it, then any 'out of pocket expenses' can be paid from there, and we need a 'donate' button on the front page, Then a blurb saying would any/every body donate a couple of quid a month, then we will have working capital for events. ( We could also re-imburse Luke from it ).
I know I am going on a bit but last year & the year before people donated items to a raffle,(just little bits & bobs they had collected & no longer wanted.... parts, models, e.t.c.) on the Sunday a raffle was held & last year (in unbelievably pi**ing rain) the raffle made £300+, so there is no need for subs e.t.c.
Inevitably there will be givers & takers , but if the given amount is small (a couple of quid) then the giver doesn't get upset when the 'takers' don't contribute, hence me saying a couple of quid a month !
I got a little black book with me poems in
Pallet Puller
Terry
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Luke » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:29 pm

markbradleyf1 wrote:How about promoting it on Youtube with some video and slides of this years meet? :!: :idea:
good idea :idea: any volenteers ........ AlanN :?: :lol:
Luke
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Transitmania