*NOW BOOKED FOR 2026* Transitmania 17 @ Santa Pod 17th to 19th July 2026 *ALL DETAILS HERE*


Big Liz back on the farm ready for a winter rebuild!

This forum can be used to update other members on your progress with your Transit.

Big Liz back on the farm ready for a winter rebuild!

Postby welshrussell » Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:40 pm

Well a series of incidents have resulted in my campervan being parked up for the winter facing a partial strip down to replace the head gaskets.

After spending a while at a garage she is looking a bit grubby, sad and generally feeling sick :(

So, over this winter and spring I'm hoping to learn how to renew the head gaskets with the help of my Haynes Manual and a few wise men from the Forum :wink:

The photos show how she came out of the garage, if you're wondering where the air filter, alternator, fanbelt, thermostat housing and top rad hose are...they're in a box in the back of the van :o

I don't know how much I'll get started this year now the weather is getting a bit harsher up here, so Spring might be the earliest I get started, but I'll post pics of any progress :D

Looked gutted, but happy to be home :D

Image

Half an engine but still runs and sounds like a Spitfire 8)

Image

Back home on the farm

Image
Do good things - and good things will happen to you!
User avatar
welshrussell
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee
 
Posts: 894
Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:01 pm
Location: Edinburgh

Re: Big Liz back on the farm ready for a winter rebuild!

Postby greek » Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:47 pm

You done the right thing Russel you cant keep paying out like you were just take your time & you will get there
I`m to old to lie under Transits
greek
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado
 
Posts: 292
Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2006 7:24 pm
Location: NORTH EAST ENGLAND

Re: Big Liz back on the farm ready for a winter rebuild!

Postby welshrussell » Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:39 pm

greek wrote:You done the right thing Russel you cant keep paying out like you were just take your time & you will get there


Cheers Greek - I know I've done the right thing and am feeling well up for it this time :D

I know it's going to be a bit tricky working on her,

but if I just take my time - it'll be alright :lol:
Do good things - and good things will happen to you!
User avatar
welshrussell
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee
 
Posts: 894
Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:01 pm
Location: Edinburgh

Re: Big Liz back on the farm ready for a winter rebuild!

Postby Breakdown Biker » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:14 pm

Good luck wi the work Russel :)
Big Liz is worth the effort, it was my favourite van at the Stirling meet, and you've done great work on her so far. 8)
Keep us posted mate :)
Where would ya be without a can of W.D?

Mk5 hicube minibus camper conversion
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=43816
User avatar
Breakdown Biker
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado
 
Posts: 423
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:08 pm
Location: Cumbernauld, Glasgow

Re: Big Liz back on the farm ready for a winter rebuild!

Postby MK1Chris » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:51 pm

All the best with that Russell.

I know the problem with finding time to work on the van. I've got a 9-5 office job and my van is located about 10 miles away from my house.

Having recently moved house, planning a wedding for this December and looking for a new job, finding the time to do any work on the van is almost impossible. Also, it's undercover but that's about it...no doors on the garage and no lights/heat either!

Mine has been on axle stands for about 2 months now. All brakes stripped down and replacement parts neatly stored in boxes in the back awaiting to be fitted!

If you can't find the time to do the work, really do try and make the effort to give her a wash and a couple of coats of polish/wax to protect her from the worst of the winter weather. It looks like she's laid up exposed to the elements.

I think it's really worth persevering with it mate... she's a lovely camper 8)
MK1 CI Motorhome.
Original 2Litre V4 and 4 Speed Manual with 29k on the clock (now up to 31k!)
Rusty problems soon to be sorted. See my progress in the projects section... http://fordtransit.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=28696
User avatar
MK1Chris
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado
 
Posts: 222
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 3:30 pm
Location: Bristol, UK

Re: Big Liz back on the farm ready for a winter rebuild!

Postby welshrussell » Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:47 pm

Cheers for the encouragement guys :D

She is now wrapped up in a caravan cover, so protected from the elements.

I know where you are coming from Chris, it's a bit weird but I also have time constraints due to weddings, work, new house, etc all in the last and next 12 months :o

But the back of the van makes a cracking mobile workshop :lol: Just remove the cushions and I've got a couple of workbenchs at my disposal - also out of the cold and rain.

I plan on going up this weekend to get started.

My idea is to strip bits off her and clean them up etc at home (in the warm with a cup of tea) and then lay the parts out in the back of the van ready for the rebuild.

I might have to send the heads away to get skimmed, but we'll see how that goes.

I have been given some good advice by Forum Members and Des (Foggy08) has offered to help out :D

If I just take my time and do things methodically, posting pics etc at each stage then if I miss something, I hope someone on the forum can point me in the right direction.

This will also give me the chance to tidy up and repaint the bulkhead in the engine bay, so a bonus there 8)

I will add pics to this thread after I've been up to see her (weather permitting :roll: )
Do good things - and good things will happen to you!
User avatar
welshrussell
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee
 
Posts: 894
Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:01 pm
Location: Edinburgh

Re: Big Liz back on the farm ready for a winter rebuild!

Postby welshrussell » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:39 am

Here she is wrapped up for the winter :D

Image

Thought I'd post a few pics.

I am not going to touch her now until at least March, when I plan on stripping the heads off, cleaning and repainting engine and tidying up the engine bay wiring and repainting the bulkhead, plus little things like respraying the bonnet and front grille, etc.


Definately getting wire brushed and sprayed
Image

A bit rusty
Image

Nasty mayo :evil:
Image
Image

Needs a bit of paint and a tidy up
Image

More nasty mayo
Image

Battery Tray needs a bit of TLC
Image

Workshop in the back of the van (damp free and dry 8) )
Image

See you in the Spring :D :D :D
Do good things - and good things will happen to you!
User avatar
welshrussell
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee
 
Posts: 894
Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:01 pm
Location: Edinburgh

Re: Big Liz back on the farm ready for a winter rebuild!

Postby MK1Chris » Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:00 pm

Good luck mate.

Small bits at a time and it'll all start coming together.

In my experience, if you can strip one part at a time, take it home to start cleaning it up / re-painting etc it is better than doing everything at once.

At least when you have a cleaned and re-painted altenator bracket (or whatever) you feel you have achieved something, then you can go back, strip off another part and start on that... much better for morale than having everything stripped off and sitting in a big pile in the corner of your lounge!
MK1 CI Motorhome.
Original 2Litre V4 and 4 Speed Manual with 29k on the clock (now up to 31k!)
Rusty problems soon to be sorted. See my progress in the projects section... http://fordtransit.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=28696
User avatar
MK1Chris
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado
 
Posts: 222
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 3:30 pm
Location: Bristol, UK

Re: Big Liz back on the farm ready for a winter rebuild!

Postby jnwferguson » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:21 pm

HI russel
to check your heads remove the spark plugs and turn over engine get some one to watch the spark plug holes you should see water shooting out of the faulty cylinder this will identify the faulty head it will save you stripping both heads off engine.
cheers jim.

mk2 camper
mk2 4x4
mk2 ci travelhome camper

the devil is in the detail
jnwferguson
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado
 
Posts: 146
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:59 pm
Location: cumbernauld scotland

Re: Big Liz back on the farm ready for a winter rebuild!

Postby welshrussell » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:45 pm

jnwferguson wrote:HI russel
to check your heads remove the spark plugs and turn over engine get some one to watch the spark plug holes you should see water shooting out of the faulty cylinder this will identify the faulty head it will save you stripping both heads off engine.
cheers jim.

mk2 camper
mk2 4x4


Hiya Jim

I'll be taking both off so I can get to the bulkhead easier and want to paint them anyway (and have a good luck at both their surfaces) :wink:
Do good things - and good things will happen to you!
User avatar
welshrussell
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee
 
Posts: 894
Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:01 pm
Location: Edinburgh

Re: Big Liz back on the farm ready for a winter rebuild!

Postby welshrussell » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:47 pm

MK1Chris wrote:Good luck mate.

Small bits at a time and it'll all start coming together.

In my experience, if you can strip one part at a time, take it home to start cleaning it up / re-painting etc it is better than doing everything at once.

At least when you have a cleaned and re-painted altenator bracket (or whatever) you feel you have achieved something, then you can go back, strip off another part and start on that... much better for morale than having everything stripped off and sitting in a big pile in the corner of your lounge!


I think this is exactly the way to do it 8) and will do it one part at a time and then hopefully by early summer next year I should have a rather large pile of shiny, cleans bits to bolt together :D
Do good things - and good things will happen to you!
User avatar
welshrussell
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee
 
Posts: 894
Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:01 pm
Location: Edinburgh


Return to Members Transit's - Progress Reports!



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated.