*NOW BOOKED FOR 2026* Transitmania 17 @ Santa Pod 17th to 19th July 2026 *ALL DETAILS HERE*


Trouble selecting gears

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Trouble selecting gears

Postby white-van-man » Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:50 pm

Hello all
Just bought a 1996 80 banana. Looks fantastic and just drove it 100 odd miles back home with no problems until I pulled off the M1 and couldn't change down. Managed to limp it to a tyre place and we worked out that if I pump the clutch pedal it will go into first and then it seems to drive not too badly but every time I stop I have to pump it again to get it to go into first. Left it a while then tried it again and it seems OK when cold.
Do you think I need a new clutch (Mrs Clutch say I definately need a new clutch fork and cluch, without looking at it). Pedal feels spongy as if its hydraulic but it can't be, can it?
What should my first move be :?:
white-van-man
Transit Fan
Transit Fan
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:37 am

Re: Trouble selecting gears

Postby chris_gilly » Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:52 pm

what happens when you try to select 1st? does it just crunch or not find it?
chris_gilly
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado
 
Posts: 107
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Trouble selecting gears

Postby white-van-man » Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:15 pm

Hi Chris
It doesn't crunch but I'm not forcing it so it might if I did force it. It just won't go unless I pump the pedal 5 or 6 times, then I can change normally when I'm driving along although it doesn't feel great when I'm changing down and no way can I get it in first when I'm approaching a junction, I have to stop and pump it again.
white-van-man
Transit Fan
Transit Fan
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:37 am

Re: Trouble selecting gears

Postby chris_gilly » Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:28 pm

gearbox/engine mounts?
if the mounts are worn or off this can cause trouble!


other possible causes selector forks maybe clutch clearence, slacken it off abit maybe?
chris_gilly
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado
 
Posts: 107
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Trouble selecting gears

Postby white-van-man » Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:36 pm

There's no juddering at all and the clutch bite is really low on the pedal, just off the floor, and it's really easy to push. I had the same model transit before (not a banana) and the clutch pedal was rock hard. The guy I bought it off said it was a bit tight when it's cold...but it was only on the slip road off the M1 after 100 miles that I noticed any problems. The guy at Captain clutch said that if it's a fork problem I need to replace everything...is that true or is he just after his Christmas bonus??
white-van-man
Transit Fan
Transit Fan
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:37 am

Re: Trouble selecting gears

Postby chris_gilly » Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:42 pm

if its the selector forks id just buy a scrappy box TBH its alot cheaper!
loosen the clutch off so the bite is a bit further up?! its worth doing just as an trial and error effort :)
also defo check the mounts are all ok :)
chris_gilly
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado
 
Posts: 107
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Trouble selecting gears

Postby white-van-man » Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:48 pm

Thanks, Chris. I'll have a look in the morning.
Cheers!
white-van-man
Transit Fan
Transit Fan
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:37 am

Re: Trouble selecting gears

Postby chris_gilly » Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:10 pm

ok bud good luck :) let us know :)
chris_gilly
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado
 
Posts: 107
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Trouble selecting gears

Postby MinorMatt » Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:13 pm

can you select all gears freely with the engine off?
Lucas Laser 2000/IDS
95 Pre Production DRW TD Highcube
95 Hallmark
96 150 100PS LWB Hi-Top
96 Autosleeper Duetto
06 Mk7 (scrap)
09 140PS T330S 2.2

Gaffa tape is like the force, it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together
User avatar
MinorMatt
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist
 
Posts: 24611
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:53 pm
Location: Herefordshire/Gloucestershire/Berkshire

Re: Trouble selecting gears

Postby Jim Archer » Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:29 pm

Check the actuating arm at the clutch housing, they are known to crack and thus bend. Not sure if you can remove in situ.

If it's OK adjust the cable if it's a manual one - 10mm A/F nut near top front of pedal.

If it's a self adjuster, push the pedal right down and reach under and find the top of the pedal, you will feel a toothed quadrant and at the top you will find the pawl, hold the pawl with your fingers and GENTLY let the pedal up, you will feel the pawl click over a couple of notches. Try the pedal, if the adjuster slips it's fecked, replace or swap to a manual set-up.

Other possibilities are that as well as not enough clutch travel/lift, gearbox oil the wrong type - will be difficult (well more so, they're a bit agricultural at best) to select 1st first thing and gets better as the box/oil warms up, you might be changing down a bit early and the baulk rings are a bit tired - have you tried double de-clutching?

HTH

Jim
Mk7 140 Jumbo - Vantunered.
289,000 and counting.
Jim Archer
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic
 
Posts: 3434
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:45 pm
Location: Southampton

Re: Trouble selecting gears

Postby white-van-man » Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:35 pm

Thanks, Jim.
Hi Matt - yes I can select with the engine off, all smooth.
white-van-man
Transit Fan
Transit Fan
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:37 am

Re: Trouble selecting gears

Postby MinorMatt » Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:39 pm

Well its probably to do with the clutch...

if you get someone to press down on the clutch pedal while you are under the van you should be able to see if the fork is cracked...

If it is you need to take the gearbox off to replace it - but I was able to weld mine up in situ (but it looks pants! :lol: )
Lucas Laser 2000/IDS
95 Pre Production DRW TD Highcube
95 Hallmark
96 150 100PS LWB Hi-Top
96 Autosleeper Duetto
06 Mk7 (scrap)
09 140PS T330S 2.2

Gaffa tape is like the force, it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together
User avatar
MinorMatt
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist
 
Posts: 24611
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:53 pm
Location: Herefordshire/Gloucestershire/Berkshire

Re: Trouble selecting gears

Postby white-van-man » Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:00 pm

:lol:
Cheers, Matt...will have a look tomorrow.
white-van-man
Transit Fan
Transit Fan
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:37 am

Re: Trouble selecting gears

Postby white-van-man » Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:18 pm

Hello again
Have had a look and another drive around today and I can't select gears when stationary until I depress the clutch, then let the clutch up and it makes a loud click (not every time) but when it does click it goes straight in. The click is at the pedal end when it's fully up. So I'm assuming it's the ratchet or something at the pedal. Tried adjusting it with the ratchet (it's the automatic one) but nothing changes no matter what. Hopefully I'm going to be lucky and it's just something wrong at the pedal??? If I scrap the automatic adjustment one can I just fit a manually adjusted one from a scrapper without changing the clutch cable or is it different? When driving along it's a lovely smooth gear change. It's not a problem until I stop. I've tried it over and over and that click is the difference between it going in and not. ???!!!!??? :?
white-van-man
Transit Fan
Transit Fan
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:37 am

Re: Trouble selecting gears

Postby MinorMatt » Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:32 pm

Well with the engine running you wont be able to select gears without the clutch unless you are moving.

The manual adjusting pedal from '97 onward is a straight swap - but you may need to remove a bush on the existing shaft and replace it from one on the manual shaft (I cant quite remember)

The clutch cable is different.
Lucas Laser 2000/IDS
95 Pre Production DRW TD Highcube
95 Hallmark
96 150 100PS LWB Hi-Top
96 Autosleeper Duetto
06 Mk7 (scrap)
09 140PS T330S 2.2

Gaffa tape is like the force, it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together
User avatar
MinorMatt
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist
 
Posts: 24611
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:53 pm
Location: Herefordshire/Gloucestershire/Berkshire


Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated.