*NOW BOOKED FOR 2026* Transitmania 17 @ Santa Pod 17th to 19th July 2026 *ALL DETAILS HERE*


LPG Problem

Transit Mk1 & 2 Forum. All Transits 1965 - 1986

Moderator: Luke

LPG

Postby zien49 » Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:29 am

Hi, ALL
Tried running with choke out, and have renewed all plugs points condenser rotor arm. It runs ok on petrol.
Well I thought I had got the thing right. I spent hours making adjustments to vaporiser/ diaphragm and mixture feed to venturi and I got it ruuuing ok in the drive so went out to try it on Tong Road from Beulah pub down the slope to Trodale bottom then up the hill to the top pulling ok, I went up down at 12 times or more fine tuning it stopping and starting all ok. Then went on a good run 30 miles or more all ok got home made a pot of tea to selibrate,1/2 later came out to put it in the garage would it start would it ****. So that’s it, it’s having a diesel in. Thanks to you all for your input DEREK
zien49
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado
 
Posts: 172
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:29 am
Location: PUDSEY

Postby Ollie » Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:16 pm

Bad luck, had rather hoped that it was fixed by lack of postings.

Your van is same spec as mine by the sound of it, and mine behaves exactly the same on Petrol :roll: Basicaly because its knackered and has fumes and oil in places it shouldn't!!

What sort of gas kit is it? and are both vaporisers the same make/spec?
is it a moving mixer or a fixed type?

My Land Rover has one of the moving type, and these can easily be fitted to an elbow on top of the carb - worked much better than the carb :wink:

Youv'e tried all the obvious engine related stuff on the ignition, so theres not mucg else, does it have hardened valve seats and what are the clearances like? sounds silly but would could give very weird effects.

Anyway i'll stop rambling and hope you get a solution soon, my solution is to look for a V6.....
Ollie
User avatar
Ollie
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee
 
Posts: 694
Joined: Sat May 06, 2006 10:57 am
Location: Birmingham

LPG

Postby zien49 » Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:43 pm

Hi, Ollie
LPG System
Tank with solenoid valve, pipe to IPG Lock of Valve with filter and magnet, pipe to Lavato Converter (with a mixture screw like a main jet). Rubber pipe to Venture with Adjuster in (like a mixture screw) Petrol lock off Valve. All controlled with an EMMEGAS change over switch with 6 sec, cut off switch in.
Can you make sense of this? I will make a diagram if it will help. DEREK
zien49
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado
 
Posts: 172
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:29 am
Location: PUDSEY

Postby Ollie » Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:23 pm

Not familiar with the makes, but am still curious about mixer type, moving or fixed? reason I ask is that fixed types require much more carefull setting up , and by the same logic suffer as the engine tune changes. Essentially moving ones are able to respond better to actual air movement rather than just pressure waves, so if your engine is Knackered like mine!! then it will be getting funny air pulses and making it hard to calibrate. Check valve clearances and maybe set it up with a vacuum guage and dwell meter to check proper operation of ignition. I know that if dizzy is worn, and most are, that getting good idle ignition control is virtually impossible with feeler guages alone, much better to set it with dwell meter for gap and then set idle ignition timing by ear and feel.
Hope this helps a little, But would suggest going back to LPG guy as he could prob substitute a totally different mixer or vapouriser easily to test.

Ollie
User avatar
Ollie
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee
 
Posts: 694
Joined: Sat May 06, 2006 10:57 am
Location: Birmingham

LPG

Postby zien49 » Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:04 am

Hi, All Thanks for the in put Ollie but.
I have to make a confession; I have never used a Vacuum gauge to set up an engine. But I am shore there are a number of you out there that will be able to put me in the picture. The engine I have fitted is a 1975 2Lt V4. DEREK
zien49
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado
 
Posts: 172
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:29 am
Location: PUDSEY

LPG

Postby zien49 » Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:52 pm

Hi, All
Well I had several goes at the LPG problems this week and have not got it running right, so I have taken sum parts off. I am going to strip down and clean etc. I did use a Vacuum gauge to set up the engine and all the readings correspond with my strobe light etc.
I am going to fit a modified exhaust and then go back to the LPG when that's fitted, so thanks to one and all for your input. DEREK
zien49
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado
 
Posts: 172
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:29 am
Location: PUDSEY

Postby madmark » Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:15 pm

:? i think in the end you need to find a lpg man somebody who will be able to pint you in the write direction! :wink:
madmark
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist
 
Posts: 15467
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2005 4:29 am

Postby dilysi » Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:39 pm

madvanman is a qualified LPG fitter. He used to work for a company called GASCAR.
SOMETIMES I WAKE UP GRUMPY..........other times i let her sleep!!!!!
Image
User avatar
dilysi
Transit Addict
Transit Addict
 
Posts: 52
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:13 pm
Location: Kent

Postby FredTransit » Sun Nov 19, 2006 6:37 pm

dilysi wrote:madvanman is a qualified LPG fitter. He used to work for a company called GASCAR.


is there no end to this man's talent? :D
A Transit is for life, not just for Christmas. http://www.a2ecommercials.webs.com
My galleries - http://a2ecommercials.webs.com/apps/photos/
User avatar
FredTransit
Mk2 Trannyist
 
Posts: 17470
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2005 4:34 am
Location: London

Postby dilysi » Sun Nov 19, 2006 6:48 pm

he is very talented and has degrees, deplomers with destinctions, & lots of other qualifications. Never Judge A Book By It'sa Cover!!!!!!
He did sub contract to City Bank quite a few years ago (including getting the back in buissines after that bus bomb blast) as a computer something or other... to tec.. for me... :lol:
:wink:
SOMETIMES I WAKE UP GRUMPY..........other times i let her sleep!!!!!
Image
User avatar
dilysi
Transit Addict
Transit Addict
 
Posts: 52
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:13 pm
Location: Kent

Re: LPG Problem

Postby wardy-uk » Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:14 pm

I am having problems finding somebody to fit my LPG kit I have. Could any body recomend any one at all round the NOrth East? I have rang round everybody and everybody without any luck :(
wardy-uk
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic
 
Posts: 3366
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:31 am

Previous

Return to Mk 1 & 2



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated.