*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Whats the difference between camper van and day/surf van

Post here camper and camper conversion related stuff!

Moderator: Luke

Whats the difference between camper van and day/surf van

Postby tmm » Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:32 am

Hi
Can someone explain to me what the difference is between a camper van and a day/surf van. Do day vans have to be registered with dvla just like the camper vans do?
I'm wanting to convert my van as my and my partner like to travel and go bike riding quite alot. So i was wondering if a day van would actually suit our needs hence the question.
tmm
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Whats the difference between camper van and day/surf van

Postby ned » Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:26 am

A day van is the same as a camper (i.e cooker, fridge, etc) but without sleeping facilities, hence day van. N
RUST IS LIGHTER THEN CARBON FIBRE

57 transit 85t260 2.2 swb, moondust silver.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=209987

03 transit 125t280 2.0 tdci swb 229,000 miles.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=168296
ned
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby johnteddy » Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:27 am

tmm wrote:Hi
Can someone explain to me what the difference is between a camper van and a day/surf van. Do day vans have to be registered with dvla just like the camper vans do?
I'm wanting to convert my van as my and my partner like to travel and go bike riding quite alot. So i was wondering if a day van would actually suit our needs hence the question.
If you want cheaper insurance then you could register it with the dvla as a motorcaravan. If you dont meet there requirements then they wont change the V5 to a Motor caravan and I think it will stay as a van even if you part convert it as a day van.ie (no sleeping facilities.) The van i bought was pretty much converted but not registered. everything in the back of my van can be removed quite quickly (Apart from paneling ) turning it back into a work van. I got mine for the wife and kids for weekends and camping in the summer but its took over me. Its the biggest cause of ear ache i have ever had! Be warned " you and that bloody van"..........etc. but yes saw a few people doing what you plan to do, in north wales were there is a mountain bike track, farmer says it keeps her site booked up.
johnteddy
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Beaker » Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:43 pm

A campervan has a fixed bed and fixed cooking and washing facilities among other things. It can be re-registered as a Motor Caravan if it's fixtures comply with DVLA regulations, though re-registering it is not compulsory. Re-registering can lower your insurance premiums and changes your MOT class.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/522756/converting-a-vehicle-into-a-motorhome.pdf

A day van or surf van has no strict definition (at least not an official one) - It could be as nedforceone describes it above, it could have a bed or just a roll out mattress on the floor. Similarly, cooking and washing facilities may or may not be present, and may not be fixed - you could just use a cartridge type stove kept on a cupboard for example. As there is no official class for this, so you cannot re-register it as anything else with the DVLA - it remains a Panel Van.

Simply put, if it complies with DVLA regs, it is a campervan. If it does not meet DVLA regs, it is essentially a day van/surf van.

To answer your last question - really it's up to you - you can easily throw your bikes in the back of a day van, and sleep on a Karrimat on the floor and cook on a Trangia if overnighting or longer.
If you want more home comforts and a comfy bed, then a full campervan conversion is the way to go.
2011 SWB medium roof 2.2l Mk7 115 T300 in Frozen White. Stealth Camper converted.

"It's better to burn out, 'cause rust never sleeps..."
Beaker
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Camper vans and conversions