*NOW BOOKED FOR 2026* Transitmania 17 @ Santa Pod 17th to 19th July 2026 *ALL DETAILS HERE*


P00BD & Limp Mode - Mk7 2013

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Re: P00BD & Limp Mode - Mk7 2013

Postby metalworker0 » Mon Apr 13, 2026 6:57 pm

Can only answer the pattern or genuine question .. if you buy a Pierburg one .. its one of the ones that ford puts on it . and that's a safe purchase.

all the best.mark
User avatar
metalworker0
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist
 
Posts: 6067
Joined: Wed May 05, 2021 4:43 pm
Location: Prestatyn

Re: P00BD & Limp Mode - Mk7 2013

Postby tranmx2 » Mon Apr 13, 2026 7:14 pm

StanT wrote:I would like to jump on the end of this if I may...

DId replacing the EGR fix the OPs problem?

What do people here think of the many aftermarket EGR valves that claim to be equivalent to the Ford offering for a much lower price? E.g. https://www.autodoc.co.uk/vemo/12250305

The reason I'm asking:
I have a 2013 regd. Transit 140 Sport from new. Initially brilliant but it all went downhill after the "piston burn recall" was done, although that could just be coincidence. Engine management light would come on, sometimes going into limp mode, sometimes not. It went back to Furrows under warranty, they said it was the MAFF sensor and replaced it, then fine for a couple of months until the engine management light came on again. This cycle was repeated until the warranty ran out. After that I drove around with the light on until it became an MOT fail. Friendly MOT tester cleared the fault and it stayed off long enough to get thru.

It's been off the road for a couple of years 'cos I'm pissed off with it. Now decide to try to sort it out, if only to sell it. Bought OBDLinkEX reader and downloaded FORSCAN. Cleared the fault and got thru the MOT but now I get P00BD, exactly as reported above, and it goes into limp mode every time I go over 40mph so I can no longer ignore it. With the EGR unplugged it doesn't go into limp mode and it runs fine (apart from the light on the dash). I've had the EGR valve off and cleaned it; wasn't particularly dirty - it's only done 23k miles.

I have absolutely no faith that the Ford dealer can fix it so it's down to me. What is the advice of the experts here? Replace bits of the emission control system until it works? Start with EGR or MAFF? Pattern or genuine?


P00BD dtc 2013 transit is - into g search - get AI result.

ORiley youtube info' re' DPF.

Do smoke test - do soapy water test with engine running - rev it up .
2012 2.2 TDCi MK 7 E 5 100 HP - 350 3.5 tonne XLWB RWD H3 L4 Duratorq 2.2L CR TC 14 DSL 100/125 PS
Was DRRB 74 KW 100 HP 100 cv. Now CYR5 125 HP. PCM Siemens Continental fuel system.
OBD2 ELM 327 FTDI and Vlinker . Forscan 2.3.46
tranmx2
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee
 
Posts: 1639
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:51 am

Re: P00BD & Limp Mode - Mk7 2013

Postby StanT » Tue Apr 14, 2026 2:01 pm

tranmx2 wrote:P00BD dtc 2013 transit is - into g search - get AI result.


Thank you for you responses.

Google AI result just trots out the text for the error code. :?

But some of the other results, including some on this forum, suggest it might be related to the inlet air temperature sensor on the intercooler. So I asked FORSCAN to look at these sensors with the following results:
IAT 19 C
IAT2 122 C
AAT 11 C
ACT 122 C
EGRP 0 %
MAF 17 g/s
Cold engine, at idle in neutral on yard. Outside temperature about 11 C.
MAF goes up and down with throttle pedal position. EGR position stays at 0% (presumably = closed).

The IAT2 reading correlates with other reports of a faulty inlet air temperature sensor on the intercooler. So I guess I should have that off and check it. I'll let you know what I find.

2013 Transit Sport 140
2013 Transit Sport 140
User avatar
StanT
Transit Fan
Transit Fan
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 10:33 pm

Re: P00BD & Limp Mode - Mk7 2013

Postby StanT » Wed Apr 15, 2026 7:09 pm

That should have been IATS2 above.

Unplugged the sensor at the intercooler, FORSCAN read IATS2 and ACT = 20 C, which I guess is some sort of default value.

Removed the sensor and measured the resistance at room temperature = 520 ohm. Dropping into near boiling water made no difference, so I guess it's not working.

New one should be here Friday. Fingers crossed.

This is the forum post I picked up on, although it is talking about Transit Custom (Mk8?). Mines one of the last Mk7s.
https://fordtransit.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=202379
2013 Transit Sport 140
User avatar
StanT
Transit Fan
Transit Fan
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 10:33 pm

Re: P00BD & Limp Mode - Mk7 2013

Postby metalworker0 » Wed Apr 15, 2026 8:01 pm

I don't think the temperature sensor works the way you think it does

put this into google:-

maf heat temperature sensor ford how it works

all the best.mark
User avatar
metalworker0
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist
 
Posts: 6067
Joined: Wed May 05, 2021 4:43 pm
Location: Prestatyn

Re: P00BD & Limp Mode - Mk7 2013

Postby tranmx2 » Wed Apr 15, 2026 8:32 pm

StanT wrote:That should have been IATS2 above.

Unplugged the sensor at the intercooler, FORSCAN read IATS2 and ACT = 20 C, which I guess is some sort of default value.

Removed the sensor and measured the resistance at room temperature = 520 ohm. Dropping into near boiling water made no difference, so I guess it's not working.

New one should be here Friday. Fingers crossed.

This is the forum post I picked up on, although it is talking about Transit Custom (Mk8?). Mines one of the last Mk7s.
https://fordtransit.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=202379


Is the IATS2 water proof, had it been submerged?
2012 2.2 TDCi MK 7 E 5 100 HP - 350 3.5 tonne XLWB RWD H3 L4 Duratorq 2.2L CR TC 14 DSL 100/125 PS
Was DRRB 74 KW 100 HP 100 cv. Now CYR5 125 HP. PCM Siemens Continental fuel system.
OBD2 ELM 327 FTDI and Vlinker . Forscan 2.3.46
tranmx2
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee
 
Posts: 1639
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:51 am

Re: P00BD & Limp Mode - Mk7 2013

Postby StanT » Fri Apr 17, 2026 8:22 pm

The IATS2 temperature sensor is the green one on right hand side of the intercooler:
intercooler temperature sensor postion.jpg


which looks like this:
intercooler temperature sensor - fomoco.jpg


It's a simple thermistor - a (normally) robust, reliable and waterproof component. The housing seals into the intercooler with an o-ring.

This is the one I've replaced it with, black but in a green box :)
intercooler temperature sensor - lucas.jpg

Slightly different but fits fine.

Resistance of the 'failed' Ford original is 500 ohm and gives IATS" reading of 127 C in a cold engine.
Resistance of Lucas replacement, again cold, is 12.2 k ohm and gives an IATS2 reading of `3 C, same as ambient air.
Running the engine at 2000 rpm for a couple of minutes raisde the temperature ro 22 C, letting it idle a further minute and the temperature dropped to 20C. So it seems to be doing what it's supposed to - register the intercooler and air charge temperature.

I cleared all the fault codes and adaptations and the van runs fine, very well in fact. No fault codes, good accelerator response etc. Only concern is the fuel consumption displayed on the dash of 31 mpg over a 20 miles drive at around 60 mph on a dual carriage way. Maybe it will improve as the engine management makes its adjustments over time.

For now, I would just note the intercooler temperature sensor as yet another candidate for the P00BD : Mass or Volume Air Flow 'A' Circuit Range/Performance - Air Flow Too High.

Transit Sport 140 2.2litre Mk7 2013
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2013 Transit Sport 140
User avatar
StanT
Transit Fan
Transit Fan
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 10:33 pm

Re: P00BD & Limp Mode - Mk7 2013

Postby shovelheadrob » Sat Jul 25, 2026 1:30 pm

My 2012 155ps has just developed this fault & warning message, it's accompanied by a somewhat worrying noise which is coming from the driver's side of the engine when it should be making boost, noise is reduced once it goes into reduced power mode. No visible damage to intercooler or pipes, turning off & restarting returns power & noise for a short time, screenshot from Forscan. My gut says turbo failing & warning because boost doesn't match expected parameters but I'm open to suggestions before I get to pulling stuff apart.

Screenshot_20260725_121008_FORScan Lite.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Panther Black 2012 155ps 350 LWB Limited with extra toys
Leather, reversing camera, dual side doors, LED DRLs
User avatar
shovelheadrob
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado
 
Posts: 403
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:57 pm

Re: P00BD & Limp Mode - Mk7 2013

Postby tranmx2 » Sun Jul 26, 2026 6:19 am

Better to start a new post.
FWD or RWD?
Likely a split in the inlet hose after the turbo.
2012 2.2 TDCi MK 7 E 5 100 HP - 350 3.5 tonne XLWB RWD H3 L4 Duratorq 2.2L CR TC 14 DSL 100/125 PS
Was DRRB 74 KW 100 HP 100 cv. Now CYR5 125 HP. PCM Siemens Continental fuel system.
OBD2 ELM 327 FTDI and Vlinker . Forscan 2.3.46
tranmx2
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee
 
Posts: 1639
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:51 am

Previous

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated.