Moderator: Luke


longhair wrote:I have my camper for 18 months and managed without solar and been on the isle of man for three weeks last year just keeping the leisure topped up driving about in the day. If I'm parked up to two days, the battery does get depleted to the point my fridge doesn't stay very cool. I did consider a solar panel but decided against it. I am going to get a 800 w generator just to keep them topped up if I am parked up for two days or more as they are small and fairly quiet when not under load which it shouldn't be just charging the leisure battery.



hectors-tranny wrote:If you have a B2B charger, it will recharge your leisure battery several times faster than a standard split charge relay, e.g. a VSR.
I agree that for 2-3 days without running, a leisure battery won't be enough. Another option is to bank two leisure batteires to double your capacity. Saves the hassle of a generator.

colingo wrote:hectors-tranny wrote:If you have a B2B charger, it will recharge your leisure battery several times faster than a standard split charge relay, e.g. a VSR.
I agree that for 2-3 days without running, a leisure battery won't be enough. Another option is to bank two leisure batteires to double your capacity. Saves the hassle of a generator.
Am i correct in that the B2B fits between the vehicle main battery and the leisure battery. Can the B2B cope with 2 110amp coupled together. Colin.

hectors-tranny wrote:colingo wrote:hectors-tranny wrote:If you have a B2B charger, it will recharge your leisure battery several times faster than a standard split charge relay, e.g. a VSR.
I agree that for 2-3 days without running, a leisure battery won't be enough. Another option is to bank two leisure batteires to double your capacity. Saves the hassle of a generator.
Am i correct in that the B2B fits between the vehicle main battery and the leisure battery. Can the B2B cope with 2 110amp coupled together. Colin.
Yes, a B2B charger has three connections: 1) starter battery positive, 2) leisure battery positive, 3) earth. It works exactly like simpler split charge relays, but has a lot of additional clever stuff built in, e.g. like a mains charger it will charge your leisure battery according to a stepped charging protocol for maximum battery health, and it can 'trick' smark alternators into delivering maximum charge when needed.
It's an expensive bit of kit but as an option to a solar setup it's worth considering, especially if you do a fair bit of driving around when camping. With mine, up to a couple of days static, provided I then have a couple of hours driving, I don't need mains or solar. etc.
Your last question: yes I think so. After all, two batteries in parallel will still be 'pushing back' with 12V (not 24). It would be the same from the B2B's point of view as having a single 220AH battery. Hence the bank of batteries would take longer to recharge, but that's all.
When I did my conversion I found these guys very helpful. Worth asking them: https://www.12voltplanet.co.uk/ (No I don't work for them or have any allifiation to them. Just found them helpful, that's all.)
All the best - HT


Return to Camper vans and conversions
Users browsing this forum: No registered users
This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated.