*NOW BOOKED FOR 2026* Transitmania 17 @ Santa Pod 17th to 19th July 2026 *ALL DETAILS HERE*


EGR again and again on en 2.4 TDCI

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Re: EGR again and again on en 2.4 TDCI

Postby Burn2 » Mon Aug 18, 2025 10:42 pm

We know, thank's for the warning.
But reconditioned egr are not reliable so not a lot of choice far away from home and need to come back.
Burn2
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado
 
Posts: 281
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2022 1:22 pm

Re: EGR again and again on en 2.4 TDCI

Postby knobby1 » Tue Aug 19, 2025 12:46 am

Burn2 wrote:We know, thank's for the warning.
But reconditioned egr are not reliable so not a lot of choice far away from home and need to come back.


I've had a cheap ebay EGR valve on my 2.4 for many years with no issues....still works fine.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof..."Full Poverty Spec".

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
User avatar
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist
 
Posts: 18731
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:36 am
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Re: EGR again and again on en 2.4 TDCI

Postby Burn2 » Tue Aug 19, 2025 9:17 am

But your's is disabled by reprog no?
If i remember well your transit is remaped?
Burn2
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado
 
Posts: 281
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2022 1:22 pm

Re: EGR again and again on en 2.4 TDCI

Postby knobby1 » Tue Aug 19, 2025 7:45 pm

Burn2 wrote:But your's is disabled by reprog no?
If i remember well your transit is remaped?


The engine has been remapped to 170hp but the EGR valve still works as normal....I run a "breather catch can" so I get very little crap going through the inlet system.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof..."Full Poverty Spec".

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
User avatar
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist
 
Posts: 18731
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:36 am
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Re: EGR again and again on en 2.4 TDCI

Postby Burn2 » Tue Aug 19, 2025 10:40 pm

The breather catch can is easy to add? Need a remap to work?
Burn2
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado
 
Posts: 281
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2022 1:22 pm

Re: EGR again and again on en 2.4 TDCI

Postby metalworker0 » Tue Aug 19, 2025 10:53 pm

i don't think it needs a remap --- but that air filter thing has me thinking that it may upset something .

That guy in the thread i pointed out has a large one .. ask him how he got on with it .

i think ive heard that the small ones dont work as well. many small ones don't include the air filter thing which has something to do with it working effectively

all the best.mark
User avatar
metalworker0
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist
 
Posts: 6067
Joined: Wed May 05, 2021 4:43 pm
Location: Prestatyn

Re: EGR again and again on en 2.4 TDCI

Postby knobby1 » Wed Aug 20, 2025 12:42 am

Burn2 wrote:The breather catch can is easy to add? Need a remap to work?


Very simple on the 2.4 Mk7's....just mount the catch can somewhere convenient, I mounted mine to the slam panel just by the PAS pump...then just connect the rocker cover breather tube to the catch can inlet and the outlet of the catch can to where the breather tube normally lives on the inlet pipe between the air filter and turbo. No mapping or anything like that required.

This setup will help with a lot of the oily spooge from being ingested by the inlet...won't eliminate it but reduces it by a significant amount...no more oily crap in the inlet manifold/cyl head ports etc... If you blank the EGR and map it out it will get rid of 99% of the gunge.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof..."Full Poverty Spec".

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
User avatar
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist
 
Posts: 18731
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:36 am
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Re: EGR again and again on en 2.4 TDCI

Postby Burn2 » Wed Aug 20, 2025 9:48 am

I have information that the egr problem come early then i think.

I do not have the anti stall improvment so do not have the 2012 firmware version.
I really wonder if it's not a firmware pb that use too much the egr.
Let's expect that they could upgrade the firmware...
If the egr could be clogged with our usage ( no short travel ), long hill at more then 3000 rpm every year and with shot gear that push the engine to more then 2000 in 6 at 80km/h...

Never add any problem on the mondeo tddi in 260 000km, i know that a lot of things change since this year but that does not feel normal.... And of course it's not easy to clean so could not do it every year.
Burn2
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado
 
Posts: 281
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2022 1:22 pm

Re: EGR again and again on en 2.4 TDCI

Postby T350camper » Wed Aug 20, 2025 10:06 am

DSCF1914.JPG
I guess I'm lucky that my Mk6 does not have all the electronics surrounding the EGR etc (although it is the 135 TDCi :shock: ) so blanking the EGR is a simple process and rendered a huge improvement in the smoothness of the engine and eliminated any smoke from the exhaust. As for an oil catch can...I fitted one to mine as it seemed like a sensible idea. Just made a bracket to fit under the master cylinder. The pipe still runs back into the intake system as normal.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wisdom comes with age...but sometimes age comes alone :shock:

2006 Mk6 T330 135bhp 2.4TDCI
User avatar
T350camper
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado
 
Posts: 332
Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2024 10:36 pm
Location: Lancashire

Re: EGR again and again on en 2.4 TDCI

Postby Burn2 » Wed Aug 20, 2025 10:51 am

What really surprise me is that the last yeari check the map sensor and it was clean! No clogged part, just some trace of oil but not a big things in 3/4 year.

I expect to have more information after the change of the egr, see if she's clogged or if just the electric motor that die.
Burn2
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado
 
Posts: 281
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2022 1:22 pm

Re: EGR again and again on en 2.4 TDCI

Postby Burn2 » Tue Aug 26, 2025 9:53 pm

Hello.

Egr has been replaced.
She was really clean for 4 year. Not clogged.
It's the electric part that die.
It's seems that they were some watter in the electronic part whereas the connector was totally good with no trace of watter on it...

The mechanist don t understand how that could happen.
We never put a karsher on the engine bay, and did not have a lot of rain during the travel...

Don t know what happen but well it confirm that it's not a driving problem.
The egr was clean like the map sensor.

They were some firmware upgrade that they did in the same time.
I will add on the topic of firmware changelog what i see.
Burn2
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado
 
Posts: 281
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2022 1:22 pm

Re: EGR again and again on en 2.4 TDCI

Postby therightangle » Sun Apr 12, 2026 8:42 am

Hi Burn2,

I know it's 8 months later but I'm wondering do you still have MAP Demanded figures much lower than MAP Actual, or did the new EGR in August fix that?

I have the above too on a camper, and looking at the EGR yesterday I think there's a small bit of rust or corrosion on the central cog. It wasn't that dirty either, certainly not choked, 1 spray and it was clean.

It still moves by hand but the spring to close it doesn't seem very strong, but I can't compare.
therightangle
Transit Fan
Transit Fan
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon May 03, 2021 7:17 pm

Re: EGR again and again on en 2.4 TDCI

Postby knobby1 » Sun Apr 12, 2026 7:52 pm

therightangle wrote:Hi Burn2,

I know it's 8 months later but I'm wondering do you still have MAP Demanded figures much lower than MAP Actual, or did the new EGR in August fix that?

I have the above too on a camper, and looking at the EGR yesterday I think there's a small bit of rust or corrosion on the central cog. It wasn't that dirty either, certainly not choked, 1 spray and it was clean.

It still moves by hand but the spring to close it doesn't seem very strong, but I can't compare.


What model Transit do you have..?? If Mk7, you can't move the EGR valve by hand, it has an electronic stepper motor to actuate it.

Lord Knobrot (Smithy)
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof..."Full Poverty Spec".

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
User avatar
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist
 
Posts: 18731
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:36 am
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Re: EGR again and again on en 2.4 TDCI

Postby therightangle » Wed Jul 01, 2026 10:36 pm

Sorry Smithy,
I hadn't seen your reply.

It's a Euro 4 fwd 2.2 with about 65k miles factory camper.
When I opened the EGR I could just about move the cogs by hand.

I've since replaced it with non genuine EGR but I now have engine erratic sounds, rattles under load and drop in power per my post yesterday.

And the MAP and MAF discrepancies per the attachment on that post....
therightangle
Transit Fan
Transit Fan
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon May 03, 2021 7:17 pm

Re: EGR again and again on en 2.4 TDCI

Postby edessaios » Fri Jul 03, 2026 10:36 am

Just a report. I also drive a Transit 2,4 tdci 140ps h9fb engine code. i have over 220.000km and it is a fully 3.5 tons motorhome. i replaced the egr once, and after a while i just unplugged it! Engine revs much happily, of course i do have permanent mlk light but not limp mode, nothing. it pulls like a train. Boost is about 1.2 bar over. and 1,1 stable. I just use every 2 trips Forscan to check if any new fails are been flagged. why dont you try that?
edessaios
Transit Addict
Transit Addict
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:50 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot]

This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated.