*NOW BOOKED FOR 2026* Transitmania 17 @ Santa Pod 17th to 19th July 2026 *ALL DETAILS HERE*


Fitting a replacement heater resistor

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Fitting a replacement heater resistor

Postby Trojan » Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:40 pm

Hi,

My fan works on only setting 3, so gathered it would be the heator resistor. Have ordered one off the bay, which arrived today. Went to fit it, only to find that the old (rather burnt out looking) one only has two spade connectors on it, and was mounted in the centre of the engine, rivitted just to the O/S side, near the bulkhead - the new one has three connectors. The van is a LWB 190 Mk4 (1993).

Have they sent me the wrong part, or have I missed something glaringly obvious?
Some people say I am stupid... I never realised I was that clever.
Trojan
Transit Addict
Transit Addict
 
Posts: 89
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:54 pm
Location: Rotherham, S. Yorkshire

Re: Fitting a replacement heater resistor

Postby MinorMatt » Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:48 pm

I think thats the dip/dim resistor you have found...
Lucas Laser 2000/IDS
95 Pre Production DRW TD Highcube
95 Hallmark
96 150 100PS LWB Hi-Top
96 Autosleeper Duetto
06 Mk7 (scrap)
09 140PS T330S 2.2

Gaffa tape is like the force, it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together
User avatar
MinorMatt
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist
 
Posts: 24611
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:53 pm
Location: Herefordshire/Gloucestershire/Berkshire

Re: Fitting a replacement heater resistor

Postby MrMPuk » Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:13 pm

MinorMatt wrote:I think thats the dip/dim resistor you have found...

Sounds like it.
MrMPuk
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist
 
Posts: 27856
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2005 7:50 am

Re: Fitting a replacement heater resistor

Postby Trojan » Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:22 pm

Damn! Well, I better have another look tomorrow in the daylight. I guess it's more hidden than I thought - any suggestions on an easy way to find it?
Some people say I am stupid... I never realised I was that clever.
Trojan
Transit Addict
Transit Addict
 
Posts: 89
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:54 pm
Location: Rotherham, S. Yorkshire

Re: Fitting a replacement heater resistor

Postby MrMPuk » Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:28 pm

Have you seen the thread in the how to section?
MrMPuk
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist
 
Posts: 27856
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2005 7:50 am

Re: Fitting a replacement heater resistor

Postby Trojan » Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:36 pm

MrMPuk wrote:Have you seen the thread in the how to section?

I must be really daft, as I cannot find a thread on it in the "how to" section. :cry:
Some people say I am stupid... I never realised I was that clever.
Trojan
Transit Addict
Transit Addict
 
Posts: 89
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:54 pm
Location: Rotherham, S. Yorkshire

Re: Fitting a replacement heater resistor

Postby MrMPuk » Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:38 pm

My bad, useful info section.

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=12288

Might also be worth trying the search function, lots of people have done the job in the past.
MrMPuk
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist
 
Posts: 27856
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2005 7:50 am

Re: Fitting a replacement heater resistor

Postby Trojan » Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:56 pm

MrMPuk wrote:My bad, useful info section.

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=12288

Might also be worth trying the search function, lots of people have done the job in the past.

Ah, got it! Now I have figured out why it's impossible to find - the old one is missing! Found a three pin plug and wire that goes to nothing near the drivers headlight, but the pins have corroded badly, and the resistor is missing. Will have a go at clearing out the old plug to fit the new resistor in the daylight tomorrow. Thanks everyone, and especially MrMPuk - your patience is appreciated.
Some people say I am stupid... I never realised I was that clever.
Trojan
Transit Addict
Transit Addict
 
Posts: 89
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:54 pm
Location: Rotherham, S. Yorkshire

Re: Fitting a replacement heater resistor

Postby MrMPuk » Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:01 pm

Trojan wrote:Thanks everyone, and especially MrMPuk - your patience is appreciated.

Now there's something you don't hear everyday. :lol: :lol:
MrMPuk
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist
 
Posts: 27856
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2005 7:50 am

Re: Fitting a replacement heater resistor

Postby dieseldel » Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:11 am

hi
connector will be corroded beyond help, headlamp bulb connector is same, if you chop one off a scrapper solder to existing wiring shrink wrap to keep out moisture bung on new resister pop rivet back to original position , job done
it was like that before i touched it !!
dieseldel
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado
 
Posts: 407
Joined: Sat May 26, 2007 8:37 pm
Location: bradford west yorkshire

Re: Fitting a replacement heater resistor

Postby Trojan » Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:30 am

dieseldel wrote:hi
connector will be corroded beyond help, headlamp bulb connector is same, if you chop one off a scrapper solder to existing wiring shrink wrap to keep out moisture bung on new resister pop rivet back to original position , job done

Ah, cheers. I was kinda hoping that it would be repairable, but I fear your right. I may just crimp on some new spade connectors, and fit it that way - should remove the risk of moisture getting into the old wiring.
Some people say I am stupid... I never realised I was that clever.
Trojan
Transit Addict
Transit Addict
 
Posts: 89
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:54 pm
Location: Rotherham, S. Yorkshire

Re: Fitting a replacement heater resistor

Postby GBBiker » Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:03 pm

Fit insulated crimp-on spade terminals, much easier.

I also relocated my resistor to prevent future problems. Basically made up an alu bracket and bolted it to the battery tray. It's much more protected there and there's plenty of the loom to play with.
GBBiker
Wrong Again!
 
Posts: 2028
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 6:43 pm
Location: Blackburn, Lancashire, UK

Re: Fitting a replacement heater resistor

Postby Trojan » Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:48 pm

GBBiker wrote:Fit insulated crimp-on spade terminals, much easier.

I also relocated my resistor to prevent future problems. Basically made up an alu bracket and bolted it to the battery tray. It's much more protected there and there's plenty of the loom to play with.

Done and done :)

Also traced the second battery fault, cleaned and replaced the rear flooring now I have a working heater, blowing on all three settings! (Well, cannot get off my own driveway so may as well work on the van instead!)
Some people say I am stupid... I never realised I was that clever.
Trojan
Transit Addict
Transit Addict
 
Posts: 89
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:54 pm
Location: Rotherham, S. Yorkshire


Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot]

This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated.